Will the cylinder slide or topple on an inclined plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving a cylindrical shape on an inclined plane and the determination of whether it will slide or topple. The individual asking for help is unsure if their approach to solving the problem is correct and is seeking clarification on the concepts involved. The conversation explores different methods of solving the problem, including calculating the sum of torques and treating it as a statics problem.
BowlOfRed
Greetings. I answer a lot of physics questions on another forum and I came across this one. So it's someone's homework problem, but not mine. :-) But as I looked at it, I realized that it's either very simple and I'm missing something, or it's more subtle and I don't have the tools to solve it. I'd appreciate knowing which. It really just intrigued me because it wasn't simple.

Homework Statement

A cylindrical shape with height 70cm and diameter 4cm is on a plane inclined at 30 degrees. The coefficient of friction is tan(30) (I'm assuming 30 degrees here). Will the shape slide or topple?

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought all I'd have to do was calculate the sum of torques about the front edge of the cylinder as it slides down. But then I realized that's insufficient because the front edge is accelerating (assuming it's sliding). Also, for a static cylinder, I'd just have a moment from the center of gravity, and I'd have a force from friction. But all the frictional force would be on the plane the same as the tipping point, so there would be no moment.

Next, although the cylinder is accelerating, I thought it's possible that it would be valid to use it as a frame of reference. In the no friction case, the cylinder will be experiencing an acceleration that is normal to the plane, so it's stable. As friction increases, the acceleration vector will shift to one side. Once it passes the tipping point, the shape will topple. In the cylinder frame of reference, the CG is 35cm up and 2cm from the edge, so the frictional acceleration can be no more than 2/35 of the normal acceleration. I could solve for the coefficient of friction that will be on the boundary.

acc(norm) = F(normal) / m
acc(norm) = m * g * cos(30) / m = g * cos(30)
acc(plane) = 2/35 * g * cos(30)
F(plane) = 2/35 * g * cos(30) * m = mu * m * g * cos30
2/35 * cos(30) = mu * cos(30)
2/35 = mu

Since that's much smaller than tan(30), it'll topple. But this doesn't feel right to me. So I figure I'm missing a bit. I well believe this method I took isn't valid, but thought I'd work through it just to see.

Thanks for helping me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi BowlOfRed! Welcome to PF! :wink:

BowlOfRed said:
I initially thought all I'd have to do was calculate the sum of torques about the front edge of the cylinder as it slides down. But then I realized that's insufficient because the front edge is accelerating (assuming it's sliding).

You can use the front edge for τ = dL/dt …

you can use any "comoving" point, ie any point whose velocity is parallel to the velocity of the centre of mass …

in particular for a body that isn't rotating, you can use any point on the body. :smile:

(don't forget that the angular momentum isn't Iω = 0, there's an extra v term)

Alternatively, treating it as a statics problem with a fictitious m dv/dt force parallel to the slope should give the same result. :wink:

1. What is the difference between sliding and toppling for a cylinder?

Sliding refers to the motion of a cylinder when it moves along a surface, while toppling refers to the motion of a cylinder when it rotates and falls over.

2. How does the shape of a cylinder affect its sliding or toppling motion?

The shape of a cylinder can affect its sliding or toppling motion by changing its center of mass and distribution of weight. A taller or narrower cylinder will be more prone to toppling, while a wider or flatter cylinder will be more stable and less likely to topple.

3. What factors influence the speed of a sliding or toppling cylinder?

The speed of a sliding or toppling cylinder is influenced by several factors, including the angle and type of surface it is sliding or toppling on, the weight and shape of the cylinder, and any external forces acting on it.

4. How do friction and gravity play a role in the sliding or toppling of a cylinder?

Friction and gravity are both important forces in the sliding or toppling of a cylinder. Friction determines the resistance of the surface to the motion of the cylinder, while gravity affects the weight and center of mass of the cylinder, which can influence its stability and tendency to topple.

5. Can a cylinder slide and topple at the same time?

Yes, a cylinder can slide and topple at the same time if it is on a sloped surface. The motion will be a combination of sliding down the slope and rotating as it topples over. The speed and direction of the motion will depend on the angle of the slope and the weight and shape of the cylinder.