Newton's Law of Cooling formula

In summary, you can use the Newton's Law of Cooling formula T(t)=T_s + (T_0 - T_s) e^{-kt} to find the time of death of a body. First, set the time of death as t=0 and use the given temperatures and surrounding temperature to determine the values of T_s and T_0. Then, use the given temperature at a later time to solve for k, and finally, plug in the temperature at the time of death to solve for t, which will be given as a negative value since it occurred before t=0. The value of e in the formula represents the base of the natural logarithm.
maccaman
Im having a bit of trouble using Newton's Law of cooling. I have been given the formula [tex]T(t)=T_s + (T_0 - T_s) e^{-kt} [/tex]. I am trying to find the time of death of a body, and I am given the time the body was found 12.00pm, its temp around 90, 2nd check, at around 1.00pm, temp is 80, and the surrounding temp is 75. How would i find the time of death, assuming that the body when it died was 100.

Note these values are prolly inacurate, I am just wanting to know how to use it to find the time of death. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.you already know the value [tex]T_{s}=75[/tex]
2. Let t=0 be at 12.00 pm.
Hence, you have T(0)=90, which detemines in your formula [tex]T_{0}=90[/tex]
3. At t=1, the body temperature T(1), has decreased to 80;
hence, you may determine k by the relation:
[tex]e^{-k}=\frac{T(1)-T_{s}}{T_{0}-T_{s}}[/tex]
Here, you are given T(t*)=100, where t* is the time of death, measured in hours relative to 12.00 pm (t=0)
Plug and chug and solve for t* (it will be given as a negative value, since it happened prior to 12.00pm

Last edited:
maccaman said:
Im having a bit of trouble using Newton's Law of cooling. I have been given the formula [tex]T(t)=T_s + (T_0 - T_s) e^{-kt} [/tex]. I am trying to find the time of death of a body, and I am given the time the body was found 12.00pm, its temp around 90, 2nd check, at around 1.00pm, temp is 80, and the surrounding temp is 75. How would i find the time of death, assuming that the body when it died was 100.

Note these values are prolly inacurate, I am just wanting to know how to use it to find the time of death. Thanks.

If you set your clock at zero at the time of death and call 12pm t0 and 1pm t1 then you get two equations:

T(t0)=Ts+(T0-Ts)e^(-kt0)
T(t1)=Ts+(T0-Ts)e^(-kt1)
=Ts+(T0-Ts)e^(-k(t0+1)) t1=t0+1 (in hours!)
=Ts+(T0-Ts)e^(-k(t0))e^(-k)

so: 90 = 75 + (100-75)e^(-k*t0)
and:80 = 75 + (100-75)e^(-k*t0)e^(-k)

These are two equations with two unknowns (k and t0), so can be solved. t0 is the time of death in hours before 12pm.

[tex]T(t)=T_s + (T_0 - T_s) e^{-kt} [/tex]

[tex]90=75 + (100 - 75) e^{-kt} [/tex]

[tex]15=25e^{-kt} [/tex]

[tex]ln0.6=-kt [/tex]

[tex]\frac{ln0.6}{t}=-k [/tex]

now sub this into the second equation

[tex]80=75 + (90 - 75) e^{-kt} [/tex]

[tex]5=15e^{ln0.6/t \ [60min]} [/tex]

[tex]ln\frac{5}{15}=ln0.6/t \ [60min] [/tex]

[tex]t = 28min [/tex]
Therefore the body dies 28 minutes befoure 12, or at 11:32a.m.

Last edited:
sorry about my notation on the second part, I am not shure how to use this latex stuff yet.

I have a question that needs an answer asap!

A body is found at 6.00am. . . .body temperature 25 celsius.. . .30minutes later. .body temperature is 22 celsius. Surrounding temperature is 15 celsius and normal body is 37 celsius. Estimate time of death.

Ruthie said:

A body is found at 6.00am. . . .body temperature 25 celsius.. . .30minutes later. .body temperature is 22 celsius. Surrounding temperature is 15 celsius and normal body is 37 celsius. Estimate time of death.

The above posts have all the equations you need to solve this problem. Please first explain what you don't understand; then we'll know how to help.

Ruthie said:

How do you do that problem without knowing the temperature at 6:00 AM?

what is 'e' in that formula?

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling formula?

Newton's Law of Cooling formula is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools down or loses heat when placed in a different temperature environment. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its temperature and the ambient temperature.

2. Why is Newton's Law of Cooling important?

Newton's Law of Cooling is important because it helps us understand and predict how quickly an object will cool down in a given environment. This is useful in various fields such as meteorology, engineering, and food preservation.

3. What are the assumptions made in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The assumptions made in Newton's Law of Cooling are that the object's temperature change is proportional to the difference between its temperature and the ambient temperature, and that there are no external factors affecting the cooling process such as wind or radiation.

4. How is Newton's Law of Cooling formula used in real-life applications?

Newton's Law of Cooling formula is used in various real-life applications such as predicting the cooling of hot beverages, calculating the cooling rate of electronic devices, and estimating the time it takes for food to reach a safe temperature during cooking or refrigeration.

5. Is Newton's Law of Cooling applicable to all objects?

No, Newton's Law of Cooling is only applicable to objects that follow the assumptions made in the formula. For example, it may not accurately predict the cooling of objects that are affected by external factors such as wind or radiation.