Identify the Bird: See the Pic & Name the Bird

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, a Baby heron was seen but not identified, and someone else suggested that it may be an Egret. The Egret was also seen and was easily identified as such because of its long legs.
heman
Identify the bird!

Okay,,so we will post the pic of bird which we see around and the others will identify it...So i saw this bird but i can't identify it...i hope you can:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
a Baby heron? Didn't think they flew into trees .

i just googled to see what baby heron looks like!
i don't think it is baby heron...
yeah...i normally see them on trees...i took it while it was on a tree...more particularly a dead tree..

you see it in your neigbourhood also?...i thought this is an asian bird..

It's an egret, a little one most probably.

neutrino said:
It's an egret, a little one most probably.
Neck seems a bit short for an egret, but the angle makes it tough to see.

I think it has its neck bent/lowered, a bit like this http://www.justbirds.org/India/Cattle%2520egret.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...you are correct neutino...someone told me its name already but i couldn't remember it..
so how did you recognise it..

A member in another forum I visit, who is a first-rate nature-photographer, usually takes a lot of pics of egrets around his place. Although those were from the eastern US, the birds from opposite sides of the world look more or less the same, at least to my untrained eyes. :smile:

so here is another...forgive for the clarity of the pic..but time was 5 o' clock in the morning..

Attachments

• DSC01097.JPG
    DSC01097.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 506
neutrino...he is too good o:)

Evo...here is heron!

Attachments

• hrnblu.jpg
    hrnblu.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 397
He'd probably be happier if you told that to him. :wink:

I think the little Egret too (Egretta garzetta), he can hide his neck.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~benvandenbroek/3691%20Kleine%20zilverreiger.htmL

Known in Holland as the "Kleine Zilverreiger" or small silver heron

heman said:
so here is another...forgive for the clarity of the pic..but time was 5 o' clock in the morning..
Could that be a quail, a Himalayan quail to be particular?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Quail

Btw, can quails fly? It seems that this one is also sitting on a branch of a tree. If it is a quail, then that is quite a precious picture, Heman, since, according to the article, these birds are extremely hard to spot.

Last edited:
The two most common water birds in India (in my experience) are herons and egrets - no idea what specific species. The herons are easily identified by the spike of feathers in the back of the head.

No spike => egret!

neutrino said:
Could that be a quail, a Himalayan quail to be particular?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Quail

Btw, can quails fly? It seems that this one is also sitting on a branch of a tree. If it is a quail, then that is quite a precious picture, Heman, since, according to the article, these birds are extremely hard to spot.
I've never seen quail up on trees!

But then, the only time I've seen an egret on a tree was when the tree was in the middle of a lake.

I took the pics in the campus itself...
Well both of them were sitting on the trees...erget was sitting on a tree on the roadside...
and while taking the pic of the other one i took it from quite a distance fearing it may fly...there was lot of vegetation around...ohhh yeah i remember my friend called this bird as "teetar"...and we were standing there for quite a lot of time..

Google gives lots of hits for Francolins when you search for 'Teetar'.

heman said:
neutrino...he is too good o:)

Evo...here is heron!
I meant Egret. :cry: Egret, Heron, they both have long legs. :frown:

1. What is the purpose of the "Identify the Bird" game?

The purpose of the game is to test your knowledge of birds and their different species by providing a picture and challenging you to correctly identify the bird's name.

2. How many different bird species are included in the game?

There are a variety of bird species included in the game, with the exact number varying depending on the version or edition of the game. Some versions may focus on a specific region or type of bird, while others may have a larger selection.

3. Can I play the game if I am not familiar with birds?

Yes, the game is designed for all levels of knowledge and can be a fun way to learn more about birds. There are usually different difficulty levels and hints available to help players who may not be as familiar with birds.

4. Are the bird pictures in the game accurate representations of the actual birds?

Yes, the bird pictures are usually taken from reputable sources and are meant to be accurate representations of the birds. However, keep in mind that birds can have different variations in appearance depending on factors such as gender and age.

5. Is there a time limit for identifying the bird in the game?

This can vary depending on the specific version or edition of the game, but usually there is a time limit or a set number of attempts to correctly identify the bird. This adds an element of challenge to the game and encourages players to think quickly.