Prove : (1+cosA - sinA)/(1+cosA + sinA) = secA - tanA

• Thread starter equilibrum
  • Start date
In summary, The equation (1+cosA - sinA)/(1+cosA + sinA) = secA - tanA can be proved using the identities sin^2A + cos^2A = 1, tanA = sinA/cosA, cotA = cosA/sinA, 1 + cot^2A = cosec^2A, tan^2A + 1 = sec^2A, cosecA = 1/sinA, secA = 1/cosA, cotA = 1/tanA by multiplying the LHS by (1+cosA - sinA)/(1+cosA - sinA) and expanding the expression to cancel out
equilibrum

Homework Statement

Prove that
(1+cosA - sinA)/(1+cosA + sinA) = secA - tanA

Homework Equations

sin^2A + cos^2A = 1
tanA = sinA/cosA
cotA = cosA/sinA
1 + cot^2A = cosec^2A
tan^2A + 1 = sec^2A
cosecA = 1/sinA
secA = 1/cosA
cotA = 1/tanA
(Only use the above identities to prove the question)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped at this question. I have attempted various methods using the formulas that I know(stated above)and also trying to work on both sides but to no avail. I understand that by cross multiplying we can easily prove it but the correct way seems to just be by making either the LHS or RHS equal to the other,respectively. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the LHS by:
[tex]
\frac{1+\cos A-\sin A}{1+\cos A-\sin A}
[/tex]
Expand.

hunt_mat said:
Multiply the LHS by:
[tex]
\frac{1+\cos A-\sin A}{1+\cos A-\sin A}
[/tex]
Expand.

Don't i need to account for the RHS also? Or are we rationalizing like we do for surds?

You're multiplying by 1, so you only need to do this for the LHS, expand ans you'll see that things cancel and you end up with the RHS

hunt_mat said:
You're multiplying by 1, so you only need to do this for the LHS, expand ans you'll see that things cancel and you end up with the RHS

I think i went wrong?

I finalized to ,
2+2cosA - 2sinA - 2sinAcosA
----------------------------
1 + 2cosA + cos^2A - sin^2A

Sorry if this is hard to read,i don't know how to use latex. :/

You're perfectly correct, you write 1=sin^{2}A+\cos^{2}A in the deominator, does the numorator factor (hint, it does).

Mat

hunt_mat said:
You're perfectly correct, you write 1=sin^{2}A+\cos^{2}A in the deominator, does the numorator factor (hint, it does).

Mat

Do you group the sin and the cos together before factoring? If so,where do we put the troublesome sinAcosA?

i'm really bad at this. I only managed to factor the denominator to cosA(2+2cosA)

You're halfway there! Look for the factor (2-2cosA) in the numorator, and then they should cancel.

Mat

Okay wait i cheated a little by looking at my RHS that i have converted into a fraction and i got it. Thanks alot! the numerator factors into ( 1-sinA) ( 2+2cosA) am i right? :)

Well done. You've done it.

What is the given equation and what does it mean?

The given equation is (1+cosA - sinA)/(1+cosA + sinA) = secA - tanA. It is an identity in trigonometry, which means it holds true for all values of A.

How can this equation be proved?

This equation can be proved using various trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations. One possible method is to convert all the trigonometric functions to sine and cosine using fundamental identities, and then simplify the equation to show that both sides are equal.

What is the significance of this equation?

This equation is significant because it shows a relationship between the trigonometric functions of A. It can also be used in solving other trigonometric equations and in problem-solving involving triangles and circles.

Can this equation be used to find the value of A?

No, this equation cannot be used to find the value of A as it is an identity and holds true for all values of A. To find the value of A, additional information or equations are needed.

Are there any restrictions on the values of A for this equation to hold true?

No, there are no restrictions on the values of A for this equation to hold true. It is applicable for all values of A.