How to prove this trigonometry equation?

In summary: Added note: I think the result is false. Let us write ##F(A,B) =\cos(A-B) - \tan(A-B) - 2 \cos(A)/ (\sin 2A + \sin 2B)## in fully expanded form as ##F(A,B) = N(A,B)/D(A,B)##, where ##D(A,B) = \cos^4 A -\cos^4 B -\cos^2 A + \cos^2 B## and ##N(A,B)## is some nasty 5th degree polynomial in ##\cos A, \cos B, \sin A, \
Helly123
  • Homework Statement

I opened my old math book and interested in this

Proof Cos (A-B) - tan(A-D) = (2cos A)/(sin 2A + sin 2B)

Homework Equations

Cos(A-B) = cosA cosB + sinA sinB
Tan(A-D) = (Tan A - tan B)/(1+Tan A Tan B)

The Attempt at a Solution

cosA cosB + sinA sinB - (tan A - tan B)/(1+Tan A Tan B)
Become
CosA cos B + sin A sin B - $$\frac {sin A cos D - sin D cos A} {cos A cos D + sin A sin D} $$

How to simplify it and proof it? It gets more complicated
Is there anyone interested too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helly123 said:
  • Homework Statement

I opened my old math book and interested in this

Proof Cos (A-B) - tan(A-D) = (2cos A)/(sin 2A + sin 2B)

Homework Equations

Cos(A-B) = cosA cosB + sinA sinB
Tan(A-D) = (Tan A - tan B)/(1+Tan A Tan B)

The Attempt at a Solution

cosA cosB + sinA sinB - (tan A - tan B)/(1+Tan A Tan B)
Become
CosA cos B + sin A sin B - $$\frac {sin A cos D - sin D cos A} {cos A cos D + sin A sin D} $$

How to simplify it and proof it? It gets more complicated
Is there anyone interested too?

You can give a proof of something, or you can prove something, but you cannot proof something.

Anyway, I cannot see how the result could possibly be true, because it involves A,B,D on one side and only A,B on the other side. Perhaps if the "D" was really a "B" the result could be true. It looks nasty in that case.

Added note: I think the result is false. Let us write ##F(A,B) =\cos(A-B) - \tan(A-B) - 2 \cos(A)/ (\sin 2A + \sin 2B)## in fully expanded form as ##F(A,B) = N(A,B)/D(A,B)##, where ##D(A,B) = \cos^4 A -\cos^4 B -\cos^2 A + \cos^2 B## and ##N(A,B)## is some nasty 5th degree polynomial in ##\cos A, \cos B, \sin A, \sin B##. We can do a multi-dimensional plot of ##N(A,B)## to see if it is zero. When we do that we find it is definitely non-zero. See the plot below, where the axes are A and B, going from ##-\pi## to ##+\pi##. (All computations and plots were done in the computer algebra package Maple.)

upload_2017-9-22_11-45-15.png

Likes Helly123 and MarkFL
Ray Vickson said:
You can give a proof of something, or you can prove something, but you cannot proof something.

Anyway, I cannot see how the result could possibly be true, because it involves A,B,D on one side and only A,B on the other side. Perhaps if the "D" was really a "B" the result could be true. It looks nasty in that case.

Added note: I think the result is false. Let us write ##F(A,B) =\cos(A-B) - \tan(A-B) - 2 \cos(A)/ (\sin 2A + \sin 2B)## in fully expanded form as ##F(A,B) = N(A,B)/D(A,B)##, where ##D(A,B) = \cos^4 A -\cos^4 B -\cos^2 A + \cos^2 B## and ##N(A,B)## is some nasty 5th degree polynomial in ##\cos A, \cos B, \sin A, \sin B##. We can do a multi-dimensional plot of ##N(A,B)## to see if it is zero. When we do that we find it is definitely non-zero. See the plot below, where the axes are A and B, going from ##-\pi## to ##+\pi##. (All computations and plots were done in the computer algebra package Maple.)

View attachment 211525
i realized too that why it's D.. maybe the question wasn't right

Ray Vickson said:
Fixed the thread title. However, you can proof something, but the correct verb form in the context of this thread is prove. See the definitions of the verb forms of proof here: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/proof.

Likes Helly123
Mark44 said:
Fixed the thread title. However, you can proof something, but the correct verb form in the context of this thread is prove. See the definitions of the verb forms of proof here: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/proof.
Idk how to edit it

I'm fairly sure the D should be B. Generally you simplify the two sides seperately, so

L.H.S. (left hand side) = ... (simplify)
R.H.S. = ...

And you end up showing the two sides simplify to the same thing.

General hints are get everything in terms of functions of A and B, rather than 2A, (A-B), etc., and convert everything into sines and cosines (get rid of the tan).

Likes Helly123
To edit hover your cursor over the post, and you should see the Edit button near the bottom left corner.

Likes Helly123
qspeechc said:
I'm fairly sure the D should be B. Generally you simplify the two sides seperately, so

L.H.S. (left hand side) = ... (simplify)
R.H.S. = ...

And you end up showing the two sides simplify to the same thing.

General hints are get everything in terms of functions of A and B, rather than 2A, (A-B), etc., and convert everything into sines and cosines (get rid of the tan).

As already shown: the stated result is false. See #2.

Likes qspeechc
Ray Vickson said:
As already shown: the stated result is false. See #2.

You're right. I just sat down to check this. OP you should check the question with specific values for A and B. The identity isn't correct. Looks like your textbook could be riddled with errors.

Likes Helly123

1. How do I start proving a trigonometry equation?

To start proving a trigonometry equation, you should first carefully read and understand the equation. Then, you can use the basic trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equation and eventually reach the desired proof.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities in proving equations?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities in proving equations are the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can help you simplify and transform the equation into a more manageable form.

3. Can I use a calculator to prove a trigonometry equation?

No, you cannot use a calculator to prove a trigonometry equation. Proving an equation involves using logical reasoning and mathematical manipulations, not just plugging in numbers into a calculator. However, you can use a calculator to check if your proof is correct.

4. How do I know if my proof is correct?

You can check the correctness of your proof by substituting the values of the variables in the original equation and the proof. The two sides should be equal for the proof to be considered correct. Additionally, you can also seek feedback from your peers or a math teacher.

5. Is it necessary to memorize all the trigonometric identities to prove equations?

While having a good understanding of the basic trigonometric identities is essential, it is not necessary to memorize all of them. It is more important to understand how to use them and apply them in different situations. With practice, you will become more familiar with the identities and their applications.