Find Stress of the Rectangular Block

In summary, the question is about finding the dimensions of a rectangular block that will keep the stress under 210 MPa, given that the block is fixed at both ends and subjected to a downward vertical force of 2000 N. The maximum stress and Young's modulus are also provided. The length of the block can be up to 30 mm.
Future_EngM
For this question, I need to find the force that will be acting on a rectangular block.

E = 193 x 10^3 MPa
Max. Stress = 210 MPa
F= 2000N

The rectangular block is fixed at both ends (bolted on to another metal object)

I need to find the dimensions for this block. L, length can be as long as 30mm

How do I find the dimensions of the block that will keep the stressunder 210MPa.

I only need the stress that will be there due to the vertical force downwards on the rectangular block.

Help pleaseeeeeeeeee

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this a school assignment? Is the 2000 N force applied axially to the rectangular block? Or is the 2000 N force a point load applied transversely to the rectangular block midspan?

1. What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the force per unit area that a material experiences when subjected to an external load. It is typically expressed in units of force per square inch or pascals.

2. How do you find the stress of a rectangular block?

The stress of a rectangular block can be found by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the block. This is known as the stress formula: stress = force / area.

3. What factors affect the stress of a rectangular block?

The stress of a rectangular block can be affected by the material properties of the block, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the geometry of the block, such as its cross-sectional area and length.

4. Why is it important to find the stress of a rectangular block?

Finding the stress of a rectangular block is important because it allows us to understand how a material will behave under a given external load. This information is crucial in designing structures and determining their safety and durability.

5. Are there different types of stress that can be found for a rectangular block?

Yes, there are different types of stress that can be found for a rectangular block, such as tensile stress, compressive stress, and shear stress. These types of stress vary based on the direction and magnitude of the applied force.