Upcoming US Post Office Stamps on American Scientists

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Upcoming
In summary, the upcoming release from the US Post Office, as previewed in this report, will include a stamp honoring John Bardeen. Similar to the previous release which featured Richard Feynman, this time it recognizes Bardeen's contributions to our civilization and may encourage people to learn more about his work. Other notable stamps from previous releases include John Von Neumann and Hubble, and there is interest in having a Zapper Z stamp with creative designs.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This report gives you a preview of the upcoming release from the US Post Office on http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/01/us-postal-servi.html". Last time, Richard Fenyman was included in a similar set. This time, I am extremely pleased that John Bardeen is being honored with a stamp. Hopefully, this will make people look up more on what he has done and recognize his contribution to our civilization.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooh! very nice!
The John Von Neumann stamps were my favorite from the previous set. I think I still have a couple of those.

Oh those are sweet! I love the Hubble stamp.

Cool! Have to pick some of these up!

A Zapper Z stamp would be good, the artists could go mad.

1. Who decides which American scientists are featured on upcoming US Post Office stamps?

The Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee (CSAC) is responsible for selecting the subjects of stamps that will be issued by the US Postal Service. This committee is made up of individuals from various backgrounds, including artists, historians, and educators.

2. How are the designs for these stamps chosen?

The designs for the stamps are typically created by artists who specialize in stamp design. They often work closely with the CSAC to ensure that the design accurately represents the scientist being featured. The final design is approved by the Postmaster General before being printed and issued.

3. Are living scientists ever featured on US Post Office stamps?

Yes, living scientists can be featured on US Post Office stamps. In fact, the first living scientist to be featured on a stamp was physicist Albert Einstein in 1966. Since then, several other living scientists have been honored with their own stamps.

4. How are the stamps distributed and sold?

The stamps are distributed and sold through the US Postal Service. They can be purchased at post offices, online through the USPS website, or through various stamp collecting organizations. Many collectors also purchase stamps through stamp shows and auctions.

5. Are there any limitations on who can be featured on US Post Office stamps?

There are certain criteria that must be met in order for someone to be considered for a stamp. They must have made a significant contribution to American society, have widespread appeal and interest, and have enduring historical significance. Additionally, the person must have been deceased for at least 10 years before being featured on a stamp.