Integrating x and 1+X^6/L^6 from 0 to L: Seeking Help and Tips

• Thread starter PhysicsBeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the x coordinate of the center of mass for a baseball bat with a peculiar linear density. The integral of the numerator and denominator is taken and a ratio for L is found. This is then substituted into the equation for the center of mass, resulting in a straightforward integral of a polynomial. The final result is \frac {5 L^2} 8.
PhysicsBeginner
Hi everyone,

I need some help integrating the following. I have been trying to integrate it but can't seem to get the correct answer and what it is suppose to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

integral(x (1+X^6/L^6) dx) going from 0 to L

The second one is similar:
integral( 1+X^6/L^6) dx) going from 0 to L

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
IF you mean

[tex] \int_0^L \frac {x(1+x^6)} {L^6} dx= \frac 1 {L^6}\int_0^L x dx + \int_0^L x^7 dx[/tex]

and

[tex] \int_0^L \frac {1+x^6} {L^6} dx[/tex]

Is very similar, can you finish?

Last edited:
Integral said:
Do you mean

[tex] \int_0^L \frac {x(1+x^6)} {L^6} dx[/tex]

and

[tex] \int_0^L \frac {1+x^6} {L^6} dx[/tex]

No, the L^6 is just under the x^6.

Ok
[tex] \int_0^L x(1 + \frac {x^6} {L^6}) dx = \int_0^L (x + \frac {x^7} {L^6}) dx = \frac {5 L^2} 8[/tex]

Since the L is constant this is really a pretty straight forward integral of a polynomial.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong in the problem. Here is the problem and what we are suppose to do is take the integral of the numerator and denominator and get a ratio for L, where lambda = dm/dx and dm = lambda.

Once i got what dm was i substituted appropriately into the equation for the center of mass which is:

Integral (x dm) / Integral (dm)

Here is the problem:

A baseball bat of length L has a peculiar linear density (mass per unit length) given by lambda=lambda(nought) (1 + x^6/L^6). Find the x coordinate of the center of mass in terms of L.

Integral said:
Ok
[tex] \int_0^L x(1 + \frac {x^6} {L^6}) dx = \int_0^L (x + \frac {x^7} {L^6}) dx = \frac {5 L^2} 8[/tex]

Since the L is constant this is really a pretty straight forward integral of a polynomial.

What is the result you are getting? What are you doing to get it? I would like to see some of your work.

BTW: Click on the equation boxes I create to see the the code used to create the equations. also see the thread in General Physics with LaTex in the title (it is stickied to the top) to learn how to generate equations. This avoids confusion over what you said vs what you meant.

1. What is "Integral Help Needed: 0 to L"?

"Integral Help Needed: 0 to L" is a mathematical concept that refers to finding the area under a curve from the point 0 to a specific value L. It is commonly used in calculus and is denoted by the symbol ∫.

2. Why is "Integral Help Needed: 0 to L" important?

Integrals are important in mathematics as they allow us to find areas, volumes, and other quantities that cannot be easily calculated using basic algebra. They are also essential in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How is "Integral Help Needed: 0 to L" calculated?

To calculate an integral from 0 to L, you must first identify the function to be integrated and set the limits of integration (0 and L). Then, you can use different methods, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, u-substitution, or integration by parts, to solve the integral.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specified limits of integration (0 and L in this case) and will give a numerical value as the result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral does not have limits and will give a function as the result, which can then be evaluated at specific points.

5. How can I use "Integral Help Needed: 0 to L" in real-life applications?

Integrals have many real-life applications, such as determining the area under a velocity-time graph to find the displacement of an object, calculating the work done by a force, or finding the average value of a function. They are also used in fields like economics to model and analyze complex systems.