What is the controversy surrounding Oprah's popularity?

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary, Oprah is one of the phoniest people I have ever known in my life. Her actions are so fake and artificial, yet so many women adore her. Truly mind baffling.
klusener
I personally think she is one of the phoniest people I have ever known in my life.. Her actions are so fake and artificial, yet so many women adore her... truly mind baffling.. :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
When the Europeans came, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said that this is the book of God and asked us to meditate. When we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible.

- Jomo Kenyatta

Physics news on Phys.org
How many times can you cry on TV, day after day, year after year?

With her wealth, fame, power, and the number of years she's been doing this, I doubt that heartfelt sincerity comes easily anymore.

Or, she's just hypersensitive and makes good money by effectively exploiting that fact. :biggrin:

I've always wondered how so many women can adore her myself, when I see her shows all I think is "What a huge advertisment for consumerism". Every other episode she makes some statement about wanting to lose weight, or how nice some famous person's purse is or something like that, that one statement from such an adored woman has more effect than all the lycosuction infomercials in America put together.

Smurf said:
that one statement from such an adored woman has more effect than all the lycosuction infomercials in America put together.

Hmm I have never seen a "lycosuction" infomercial, or even a "liposuction" infomercial. Come on now, if you are going to bash Americans at least make sure it is factual :tongue2:

Back on topic. Beats me why Oprah is so popular. My only guess is that she is a single women with a day time talk show about women stuff; however, I have never watched an entire episode of her show, so I probably do not know what I am talking about.

Why isn't Einstein popular? Now, that's a question.

Oprah is probably popular because she's going through menopause, just like all her viewers.

JasonRox said:
Oprah is probably popular because she's going through menopause, just like all her viewers.

I thought it was because she gives things to people. Remember that time when she gave a car for each audience member?

Chrono said:
I thought it was because she gives things to people. Remember that time when she gave a car for each audience member?

WHAT!

Are you SERIOUS! :bugeye:

Damn! Are the tickets free? I wouldn't mind going to see one of her shows. :wink:

maybe she is a talented host who the audience trusts?

I remember crying once while watching her show...she was giving away 40GB iPods to everyone in the studio audience.

What do you guys think of Dr. Phil?

Dr. Phil, very down to Earth thinks the same way I do. I used to agree with 99% of what he said, although I didn't watch often. Then he learned about ratings. Now he has no problem exploiting children and ruining their lives and I refuse to even pause on his show while channel surfing.

recon said:
I remember crying once while watching her show...she was giving away 40GB iPods to everyone in the studio audience.

That's really sad, I would've cried too

Don't say anything bad about Oprah :grumpy:

klusener said:
I personally think she is one of the phoniest people I have ever known in my life.

I'm curious how long you have known her and how you guys met.
Do you have any personal stories you would be willing to share about times you shared with her that made you feel the way you do?

one_raven said:
I'm curious how long you have known her and how you guys met.
Do you have any personal stories you would be willing to share about times you shared with her that made you feel the way you do?

oh don't even get me into this...

it was late one night, on the shores of Lake Victoria, the water was rushing towards my feet and the shivering breeze blew away my sweater, and there appeared this woman... wait a minute, i am not supposed to be giving this stuff away for free, when i write my autobiography and sell it for $2 cause it is made in china, you will know...

anyways, i just said that she was phony because her actions are artificial and every moment she is trying to sell some product to her viewers, but what really bugs me is that she always assumes this role of u know consciencous leader, dammit i know i spelled it wrong, who helps less unfortunate children and women in Africa and Asia... what really got to me was this episode where the whole thing was on how Indian men burned their wives almost fequently or something... i know for a fact that it rarely happens and when it does sporadically happen, it is in the rural areas... but if u are a viewer watching it in america or europe, you get the idea that indian me go home from work everyday and burn their wives... i hate that kind of stuff... and i also hate it when she keeps giving stuff to people and she seems to care more about getting their reactions on tape, rather than receiving their thanks personally... Even her audience is phony, everytime she appears, they are all gushing or clapping and when even nothing happens, they all start to cry...

on a side note, after reading "the catcher in the rye" i have started to notice a lot of phony things...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
When the Europeans came, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said that this is the book of God and asked us to meditate. When we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible.

- Jomo Kenyatta

Last edited:
klusener said:
it was late one night, on the shores of Lake Victoria, the water was rushing towards my feet and the shivering breeze blew away my sweater, and there appeared this woman... wait a minute, i am not supposed to be giving this stuff away for free, when i write my autobiography and sell it for $2 cause it is made in china, you will know...

Aww, man! It was just starting to get good!

By the way, I like your quote:
I'm going to have to look up Jomo Kenyatta, now.
Is (s)he a writer?

Oprah is a very powerful woman and she is a role-model to a lot of people. Sure, her shows have become more entertaining, would you like to watch a show about nothing but misery and complaining people?

I think she does a good job and says powerful things, brings good topics to the people's attention and HEY! what's wrong with treating the whole audience with sponsered cars? She has the power to do that and it sure made a lot of people happy.

About the crying thing, how can it be unnatural when the whole studio audience and home audience is tearing up too? (incl. me)

one_raven said:
Aww, man! It was just starting to get good!

By the way, I like your quote:

I'm going to have to look up Jomo Kenyatta, now.
Is (s)he a writer?

jomo kenyatta was a kenyan activist, he was jailed for a long time after being convicted in the Mau Mau incidents. He was later the prime minister of Kenya..

but he did write books:

Facing Mount Kenya
Suffering Without Bitterness

JasonRox said:
Damn! Are the tickets free? I wouldn't mind going to see one of her shows. :wink:

I know. The only reason I knew that she did that was because I was, for some strange reason, watching ET one night and they covered it.

Why is Oprah so popular?

Oprah is popular for a variety of reasons, but here are five common questions people have about her popularity:

1. What makes Oprah's talk show different from others?

Oprah's talk show was known for its intimate and personal format, as well as her ability to connect with her guests and audience. She also covered a wide range of topics, from serious issues to light-hearted entertainment, making her show appealing to a diverse audience.

2. How did Oprah become so successful?

Oprah's success can be attributed to her hard work, determination, and ability to connect with people. She started as a local news anchor and worked her way up to hosting her own talk show, which eventually led to her own media empire.

3. What impact did Oprah have on the media industry?

Oprah's talk show and media presence broke barriers and paved the way for other women and people of color in the industry. She also popularized the concept of self-improvement and helped bring attention to important issues through her show.

4. How did Oprah use her platform for philanthropy?

Oprah has used her fame and wealth to support various charitable causes, including education, healthcare, and humanitarian efforts. She has also donated millions of dollars to organizations and started her own charitable foundation.

5. Why is Oprah considered influential and inspirational?

Oprah's story of overcoming adversity and using her platform for good has inspired many people around the world. She is also known for her motivational speeches and interviews, which have helped people find strength, courage, and purpose in their own lives.