GR & 3rd Law: A Thought Experiment

• Thread starter my_wan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Law
In summary, the conversation discusses a physical setup involving a hole cut in a flat sheet of material and a rod of length L spun by a motor. The questions raised involve the potential for a positive momentum and gravitational radiation in a particular direction, and the possibility of violating the 3rd law of motion. The device is described as having a shape similar to an egg and it is possible to design and operate it.
my_wan
I like simple physical setups to articulate and generate good thought experiments.

Setup:
Consider a hole cut in a flat sheet of material with these conditiond;
Bottom portion is perfectly circular with 150 degrees of arc.
End points are represented by x=+n, y=0 and x=-n, y=0.
x=0, y=0 represents the midpoint. The length L is +n to -n.
To complete the hole define the points in a straight line starting at each point on the surface of the 150 degree arc passing through the point of origin, x=0, y=0 and endng at distance L from the starting point on the arc.

Setting it in motion:
Provide a motor that maintains constant rpm at the point of origin.
Place a rod of length L contained by the hole and spun by the motor.
Note: The rod must be allowed to shift back and forth on the motor shaft but forced to spin with the motor. Rotation torch is assumed to be canceled by other means, counter rotating pairs, etc.

Question setup:
At first glance it wouldn't be hard to imagine that since a greater length of rod is always in the +y direction that a positive momentum is created for the system in that direction. Obviously this appears to be ruled out by the 3rd law, like lifting yourself up in a bucket. Now we consider that GR demands this system to generate gravitational radiation in a particular direction.

Questions:
(1) If the 3rd law holds under classical analysis of this situation wouldn't that mean that under GR there would be at least some momentum imparted to it in a given direction?
(2) If the gravitation radiation is found to cancel out the momentum wouldn't that mean that under a purely classical analysis it would show a violation of the 3rd law, or at least invalidate the classical concept of an enclosed system.

Given the symmetries of relativity I can imagine situations were the answer is no to both questions. I would appreciate any insight you have on it.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
my_wan said:
... Rotation torque is assumed to be canceled by other means, counter rotating pairs, etc.

Now we consider that GR demands this system to generate gravitational radiation in a particular direction.

I can't really envision what your device looks like from your description. However, it seems to me...

GR would also predict gravitational radiation from the 'counter rotating pairs' (that cancel the torque) which is equal & opposite momentum to that emitted by your rod device so there is no directional asymmetry in the radiative momentum transfer.:wink:

Creator:biggrin:

Last edited:
Maybe my description wasn't clear enough. The statement about rotation was just about practical problems not about actual operation or physics, like nectlecting air resistance when calcing acceleration due to G. In other words the rotational torch is to be ingnored. Only the excess mass of the spining rod always being in the +y direction is considered.

The hole itself has a shape somewhat similar to an egg with point of rotation for the rod closer to the rounder lower part of the egg. It would be reasonable to assume a shape with the nessisary characteristics would not be possible, which is why I give such a precise prescription for it. It is in fact possible to design and operate this apparatus.

1. What is GR and how does it relate to the 3rd Law of Motion?

GR (General Relativity) is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space and time. The 3rd Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In GR, this law is modified to take into account the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

2. Can you explain the thought experiment used in GR to understand the 3rd Law of Motion?

The thought experiment involves imagining a spaceship in deep space with no external forces acting on it. According to the 3rd Law of Motion, if the spaceship fires its engines in one direction, it should experience an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction. In GR, this is modified by the curvature of space and time around the spaceship, resulting in a different trajectory compared to what would be expected in classical mechanics.

3. How does GR and the 3rd Law of Motion impact our understanding of the universe?

The combination of GR and the 3rd Law of Motion has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe. It has allowed us to explain phenomena such as the bending of light by massive objects, the existence of black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of celestial bodies, such as planets and galaxies.

4. What are some real-world applications of GR and the 3rd Law of Motion?

GR and the 3rd Law of Motion have many real-world applications, particularly in space exploration and technology. GPS systems, for example, rely on both theories to accurately calculate and adjust for the curvature of space and time caused by Earth's mass. They have also been used in the development of spacecraft trajectories and the study of gravitational waves.

5. Are there any limitations to GR and the 3rd Law of Motion?

Like any scientific theory, GR and the 3rd Law of Motion have their limitations. GR breaks down at very small scales, such as the quantum level, where the effects of gravity are negligible. It also does not take into account the other fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. However, it remains one of the most successful and accurate theories in physics, and its limitations are still being explored and studied by scientists.