Why bending moment is constant on an end loaded beam

In summary, the lab asks the student to prove why the bending moment is constant across an end loaded beam, but is not constant for a centre loaded beam. The student finds research that suggests the shear-moment relationship may be a viable explanation.
nevermaybe

Homework Statement

For the same lab as I posted previously, I have been asked to prove a situation. I think I'm either over thinking it or it really is that complicated.

I've been asked to prove why the bending moment is constant across an end loaded beam (inbetween the knife edges - the two points that hold the beam up). Conversely, it then goes on to ask why does the bending moment depend on point P (arbitrary point along the beam) for a centre loaded beam, and where it would fail if overloaded?

Pictures!

End loaded beam:

http://puu.sh/2mmwW

Centre Loaded Beam:

http://puu.sh/2mmxs

Homework Equations

C = (Y.I)/r

C is the bending moment
Y is the Young's modulus of the material
I is the geometrical moment of intertia of the cross section of the beam
r is the radius of curvature of the neutral surface

The Attempt at a Solution

From my understanding, I and Y will always remain constant on both beams, regardless of how they're loaded. However, the radius of curvature must be the only reason why the bending moment would not be constant. In saying this, I don't know how to go about proving why the radius of curvature would depend on where it's loaded along the beam.

I asked the lab demonstrators, but they seem to either be unfamiliar with the lab, or refused to give too much detail about how to go about this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of looking at curvature, can you focus on the shear- moment relationship V = dM/dx? what is the shear between the supports for case 1? For case 2, where can you say that M is at a maximum value?

Thanks for the reply!

Interesting suggestion, I did some research on shear-moment relationship online and it definitely seems viable at explaining the situation. I find it strange that they don't mention shear at all in the lab report/introduction, so I'm not sure if I'm meant to go about it this way.

I'll be heading into the lab tomorrow so I'll see if I can get some more help on this and update the thread!

1. Why is bending moment constant on an end loaded beam?

The bending moment on an end loaded beam is constant because the load is applied at only one point, causing a uniform distribution of forces along the length of the beam. This results in a constant bending moment throughout the beam.

2. How does the shape of an end loaded beam affect its bending moment?

The shape of an end loaded beam does not affect the bending moment because the loading is applied at one specific point, regardless of the shape of the beam. However, the shape of the beam can affect the distribution of the bending moment and the stresses it experiences.

3. Does the magnitude of the end load affect the bending moment?

Yes, the magnitude of the end load directly affects the bending moment on an end loaded beam. The greater the end load, the higher the bending moment will be.

4. What is the difference between bending moment and shear force on an end loaded beam?

Bending moment refers to the moment created by a force that causes a beam to bend, while shear force refers to the force that causes one part of the beam to slide over another part. In an end loaded beam, the bending moment is constant while the shear force varies along the length of the beam.

5. How is the bending moment calculated for an end loaded beam?

The bending moment for an end loaded beam can be calculated by multiplying the load at the end of the beam by the distance from the end of the beam to the point where the bending moment is being calculated. This can be simplified to M = F x d, where M is the bending moment, F is the end load, and d is the distance from the end of the beam.