Why is my thigh in pain after squats?

• Thread starter michael12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary, the conversation is about a person experiencing pain in their thighs after doing squats and seeking advice for the cause. Suggestions include stretching properly before and after, seeing a doctor, starting with a milder exercise regimen, or possibly a pulled muscle. One person jokingly suggests the person may be missing their ankle, shin, and knee. Another suggests seeing a podiatrist and trying leg extensions instead of squats.
michael12
Hi all,
I have noticed that after doing some squats, the next day my thighs keep paining whole day. Walking becomes difficult and a little crooked. What could be the cause of this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably aren't stretching properly before and after. But the title says "pain on top of the foot". I suggest that you see a doctor, there is no way that we can diagnose you online, nor should you accept an online diagnosis.

You could also be sore. As in, you did a good workout.

michael12 said:
.. pain on top of foot : my thighs keep paining...
I would first suggest he see an anatomy diagram.

The foot bone is most definitely not connected to the thigh bone.

DaveC426913 said:
I would first suggest he see an anatomy diagram.

The foot bone is most definitely not connected to the thigh bone.
By jove, you're right!

With the leg bone connected
to the knee bone,
and the knee bone connected
to the thigh bone,
and the thigh bone connected
to the hip bone.
Sorry, I couldn't resist, hadn't heard that song in years.

michael12 said:
Hi all,
I have noticed that after doing some squats, the next day my thighs keep paining whole day. Walking becomes difficult and a little crooked. What could be the cause of this? Thanks!
Have you just recently started your exercise program after a long time (years) without exercising?

When I work out (such as on a bicycle) when out-of-shape, I get an extremely painful, almost debilitating burning in my thighs the next day. This is due to a buildup of lactic acid, which is what the muscles use when they run out of oxygen.

The solution is to start off with a milder exercise regimen and work your way up as your body adapts.

Last edited:
Evo said:
By jove, you're right!

Sorry, I couldn't resist, hadn't heard that song in years.
You know, this could be the source of his pain.

"Doctor: there's this pain in my thigh, right above my foot."

"Hm. Let me see. Ah, there's the problem. You seem to be missing your ankle, shin and knee. Looks like a shark bite. That's got to smart. Well, stay off it, drink plenty of liquids and call me next week if it doesn't clear up. Pip pip cheerio."

michael12, you should see a podiatrist.

Did you try taking the needle out?

You may just be sore. If you happen to work out regularly and it happens every time you squat, you may want to see a doctor about it. You may have slightly pulled a muscle.

If nothing else, try taking it easy the next time you work out your legs. Do some leg extensions instead of squats for instance.

1. What causes thigh pain after squats?

Thigh pain after squats is usually caused by delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). This is a normal response to exercise that occurs when you work a muscle group that you are not used to or when you increase the intensity or duration of your workout.

2. How long does thigh pain after squats last?

The duration of thigh pain after squats varies from person to person. On average, DOMS can last anywhere from 24 to 72 hours. However, it can also last up to a week in some cases. The intensity of the pain usually decreases after the first day.

3. Can improper form during squats cause thigh pain?

Yes, improper form during squats can cause thigh pain. If you are not using the correct technique, you may be putting too much strain on your thighs or other muscles, leading to pain and discomfort. It is important to ensure that you are using proper form to avoid injury and pain.

4. How can I prevent thigh pain after squats?

You can prevent thigh pain after squats by gradually increasing the intensity and duration of your workouts, using proper form, and ensuring that you are properly warmed up before performing squats. Additionally, make sure to stretch and foam roll your thighs after your workout to help alleviate soreness.

5. When should I be concerned about thigh pain after squats?

If your thigh pain is severe and does not improve after a week, or if it is accompanied by swelling, redness, or difficulty bearing weight, you should consult a medical professional. These symptoms may indicate a more serious injury that requires treatment.