Quick question on partial fractions

In summary, for partial fraction decomposition, you will typically need to put Ax + B over a term raised to a power, even if the outside bracket is not squared. However, in some cases, such as when the numerator and denominator have a common factor, the expression can be simplified further.
etha
I'm a little mixed up on the integration for partial fraction decomposition.

I basically have x/ x(x^2 + 1)

I'm wondering for the (x^2 + 1) part, am I to put Ax + B over it because it is a raised power, or since the outside bracket is not squared, it is to only have one variable over it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I had answer this before!

In general you will need Ax+ B. Notice that you would NOT need that if the denominator were (x+1)^2 so it is NOT a matter of whether "the outside bracket is not squared".

Of course, for this particular exercise, you should immediately cancel the "x" in numerator and denominator giving 1/(x^2+ 1) which is already in "partial fractions" form so you don't really need the "B".

But suppose it were (x+2)/(x(x^2+1)). If you were to try (x+2)/(x(x^2+1))= A/x+ B/(x^2+ 1), multiplying on both sides by x(x^2+1) you get x+ 1= A(x^2+ 1)+ Bx= Ax^2+ Bx+ A Equating the corresponding coefficients, A= 0, B= 0, but no way to match the "2".

Trying (x+2)/(x(x^2+1))= A/x+ (Bx+ C)/(x^2+ 1), multiplying on both sides, you have x+2= A(x^2+1)+ Bx+ C= Ax^2+ Bx+ (A+ C). Now A= 1, B= 0 and A+ C= 2 so A= 1, B= 0, C= 1 works.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in mathematics to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This is useful for solving integrals and other mathematical problems.

2. When are partial fractions used?

Partial fractions are used when integrating rational functions, solving differential equations, and simplifying complex fractions in algebraic equations.

3. How do you find the partial fractions of a rational function?

To find the partial fractions of a rational function, you first need to factor the denominator into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations and solve for the coefficients of each partial fraction term.

4. Can partial fractions be used for improper fractions?

No, partial fractions can only be used for proper fractions. Improper fractions can be converted into mixed numbers or simplified using other methods before applying partial fractions.

5. Are there any tips for solving partial fractions?

One tip for solving partial fractions is to make sure the denominator is factored completely and to set up the system of equations in a systematic way. It is also helpful to check your work by multiplying the partial fractions back together to see if it simplifies to the original rational function.