Hohmann transfer orbits (delta-v)

In summary, the equation for delta v is delta v = v2 - v1. I am trying to find the equation for v2 and v1 but I am getting stuck.
louischaman
I am writing an essay on Space travel for my A level coursework. I am writing about Hohmann transfer orbits.
At the moment I am using the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

It explains how you can derive this:
5944b27b3c44c602b17844e1ec4d3a0f.png

From this:

ec3f328abd4ffc5db4adb3c218da2544.png

I can't do the in between steps.
help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't fully understand this either, and would like to know :P

However! I think the process would be;

v1² = u (2/r1 - 1/a )
v2² = u (2/r2 - 1/a )

with v1 v2 r1 r2 correponding to a velocity of X when you're in X orbit.

Anyway, i tried minusing them, and got into trouble :X, anyone help?

Well, consider delta v: delta v = v2 - v1.

Square that: (delta v)^2 = v2^2 - 2v2v1 + v1^2.

Now, from the original equation, v2 = sqrt(mu)sqrt(2/r2 - 1/a)
and v1 = sqrt(mu)sqrt(2/r1 - 1/a)
so -2v2v1 = -mu sqrt((2/r2 - 1/a)(2/r1 - 1/a))
and v2^2 = mu(2/r2 - 1/a)
and v1^2 = mu(2/r1 - 1/a)

so (delta v)^2 = mu(2/r2 - 1/a) - mu sqrt((2/r2 - 1/a)(2/r1 - 1/a)) + mu(2/r1 - 1/a)

Some algebra should get you to something that looks like the right side of the target equation. You'll probably need some tricks (partial fractions and similar) to force it into the right form.

]Hey there, thanks for the tip, however (and this is more maths related i guess) I'm having trouble getting there;

I've got to

delta v² = 2u [ 1/r1 + 1/r2 - 2/2a - sqrt(4/r1r2 - 2/r1a - 2/r2a + 1/a²)]

Really stuck on what to do next, I know what the answer is, but i can't seem to get rid of the a's :confused: any help would be appreciated, and yeah i need to learn how to use the proper formula thingy rather than just typing it out, any help there would be great too :P is it a separate program because the latex thing in advanced is useless

Last edited:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]v² = 2 [tex]\mu[/tex] [ [tex]\frac{1}{r1}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{r2}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{2}{2a}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{\frac{4}{r1r2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{2}{r1a}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{2}{r2a}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{a^2}[/tex]

excuse my failure with latex, all of the last bit is suposed to be square rooted...however i can't work that out :P

I can't get any further from here :frown:

Hey, sorry for the bump but this is a really annoying problem =[

1. What is a Hohmann transfer orbit?

A Hohmann transfer orbit is a type of orbital maneuver used to transfer a spacecraft from one circular orbit to another, typically between two different celestial bodies. It involves firing the spacecraft's engines to change its velocity and trajectory, allowing it to reach the desired orbit.

2. How does a Hohmann transfer orbit work?

A Hohmann transfer orbit works by taking advantage of the gravitational pull of the celestial bodies involved. The spacecraft is first placed into an elliptical orbit around the initial body. Then, at the farthest point of the ellipse, the spacecraft fires its engines to increase its velocity, propelling it into a larger elliptical orbit that intersects with the orbit of the target body. As the spacecraft approaches the target body, it fires its engines again to slow down and enter a circular orbit around it.

3. What is delta-v and why is it important in a Hohmann transfer orbit?

Delta-v, or change in velocity, is the amount of thrust or change in speed needed for a spacecraft to move from one orbit to another. In a Hohmann transfer orbit, delta-v is important because it determines the efficiency and feasibility of the maneuver. The lower the delta-v required, the less fuel and energy the spacecraft needs, making the mission more cost-effective.

4. How is delta-v calculated for a Hohmann transfer orbit?

Delta-v for a Hohmann transfer orbit is calculated using the vis-viva equation, which takes into account the gravitational parameters of the two celestial bodies involved, as well as their initial and target orbits. The equation allows for the determination of the required delta-v for the initial and final engine burns, as well as the total delta-v for the entire transfer.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Hohmann transfer orbit?

The main advantage of a Hohmann transfer orbit is its efficiency, as it requires the least amount of energy and fuel compared to other types of orbital maneuvers. However, it also has some disadvantages, such as the relatively long transfer time, which can take months or even years for interplanetary missions. It also requires precise timing and positioning to execute successfully, and is not suitable for all types of missions.