Elements 118 and higher = why?

• Thread starter Gara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: This is when the shell breaks the sound barrier in the air, which makes a "thunk" sound. Eg A 50 cal sniper round will have a sonic boom when it breaks the sound barrier.In summary, the higher we go up in element, the more stable it becomes. However, there are no truely practical uses for a material that is that stable.
Gara
let's asume that the higher we go, the more stable the element is, or so i am lead to believe.

let's asume that at 160, it is perfectly stable. what would be the point? what i mean is, what could we use such a heavy material for? construction? AP ammo? engine blocks?

it seems to me there are 3 key points to using one material over another.

1) weight
2) strength
3) volume

eg, you could make a Titanium sword. It would be stronger, and lighter, but it's "volume" would be greatly larger. if it came to engine blocks of a car, this would be bad cos it would make the engine much larger (albeit stronger and lighter)

so what would such a heavy element be good for?

which element has the highest strengh to weight ratio?

------------------------------------------------------------------
caution, the above poster may have no idea what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gara said:
let's asume that the higher we go, the more stable the element is, or so i am lead to believe.
Are you referring to the island of stability? 'Stability' is rather relative; there is an expectation that some nuclides near element 114 will be considerably more stable than heavier and lighter ones, but the expected half-lives are still no more than seconds (or much less). Not much good for car engine blocks :wink:

i was talking about that, yes. but what about after that?

Gara said:
eg, you could make a Titanium sword. It would be stronger, and lighter, but it's "volume" would be greatly larger. if it came to engine blocks of a car, this would be bad cos it would make the engine much larger (albeit stronger and lighter)
Actually, no - strength of material is generally in terms of volume or area, ie tensile strength is pounds per square inch. Titanium both has a higher tensile strength than steel and a higher strength to weight ratio. So a titanium sword would be both stronger and lighter than a steel one of identical proportions.
I think its titanium, but you can exceed that with alloys and carbon composites.

Last edited:
Gara said:
i was talking about that, yes. but what about after that?
... the nuclides become increasingly unstable, with half-lives of microseconds or less (OK, maybe one or two get to live as long as a millisecond).

A titantium sword might not really be an effective weapon.

If it were a "thrusting" weapon like a foil or an epee, it might be nice because it would minimize fatigue on the combatant.

But if titanium were used on a "slashing" weapon such as a sabre, it might not be effective because it doesn't carry as much momentum to it's target.

-Glenn

BEC Helium is the strongest material known to man.

But if you're talking about something more down-to-Earth, then diamond is the strongest.

Both only contain one element! :wink:

How about Lithium in a Vacuum? I am sure it has a large strength to weight ratio, if only because of its low weight.

WE also worry about shearing forces. Eg Depleted uranium is agreat for shells because is shows a phenominae called Adiabatic Shearing force.

1. What are Elements 118 and higher?

Elements 118 and higher refer to the elements located in the eighth period of the periodic table, also known as the superheavy elements. These elements have atomic numbers greater than 118, with the highest currently being 118.

2. How were Elements 118 and higher discovered?

Elements 118 and higher were discovered through a process called nuclear fusion, where smaller atoms are fused together to form larger atoms. This process is typically carried out in a laboratory setting using advanced technology and equipment.

3. Why are Elements 118 and higher significant?

Elements 118 and higher are significant because they are part of the superheavy elements, which have properties and characteristics that are not found in other elements. They also contribute to our understanding of the fundamental principles of matter.

4. Are Elements 118 and higher naturally occurring?

No, Elements 118 and higher are not naturally occurring. They are synthetically produced in a laboratory and have very short half-lives, meaning they decay into other elements quickly.

5. Can Elements 118 and higher be used in everyday life?

No, Elements 118 and higher have very short half-lives and are highly unstable, making them unsuitable for practical applications in everyday life. However, they can be used in research and scientific experiments to further our knowledge of the atomic world.