Theoretical Plysics Vs. Astrophysics

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between astrophysics and physics as a major, with a focus on more abstract topics such as parallel universes, higher dimensions, and closed time loops. The expert advises the individual to focus on developing strong math skills and to choose a major based on their interests and the current research being done in the field. It is also noted that research often leads to unexpected paths and it is important to be open to change.
MikeD1
Hello everybody, I have a question that I've been thinking about for a long time and I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently a junior at a university in California and I'm about to declare my major. Throughout my whole life I knew that it would be astrophysics, but I've taken 5 astronomy classes and it barely touched on the topics I'm interested in such as higher dimensions, parallel universes, closed time loops, ect.. Should I reconsider declaring physics as my major rather than astrophysics to learn more about these abstract topics?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Parallel universes" is really more in the realm of science fiction than science. Most undergraduate degrees - irrespective of field - won't touch it. "Higher dimensions" is quite speculative, and I'd again be surprised if any major spent more than an hour over 4 years discussing it.

MikeD1 said:
parallel universes, closed time loops, ect.. Should I reconsider declaring physics as my major rather than astrophysics to learn more about these abstract topics?

Basically, Vanadium50 is on the money as usual. Presumably you've garnered these interests from popular science books or otherwise - you should leave this type of material as entertainment, since I would be extremely surprised if any undergraduate in physics, astrophysics or at all otherwise spent more than a few side-notes on topics such as this.

If you're looking for things that are outlandish and fantastic, you should stick with astrophysics. You should probably have a look at the courses you'll be expected to chose from in later years too.

MikeD1 said:
Throughout my whole life I knew that it would be astrophysics, but I've taken 5 astronomy classes and it barely touched on the topics I'm interested in such as higher dimensions, parallel universes, closed time loops, ect.

The problem with those topics is that there (with the exception of higher dimensions) is not much to say about them since they might not exist at all. Higher dimensions is the one topic that's generally useful and you can get an introduction to that in some high level math class. Hilbert spaces, functionals, etc. etc.

If you haven't taken relativity yet, then you probably want to do that.

I'm sorry maybe I wasnt specific enough on the topics so they may seem too outlandish and in the realm of science fiction. By parallel universes I was referring to Everest's multiple world interpretation of quantum mechanics, I've read that this interpretation is gaining popularity among cosmologists because it eliminates the need for the collapse of a particles wave function. And higher dimensions was referring to the 10, 11 or more dimensions proposed in string theory so unite the gravity force with the other three forces. Closed time loops is the frame dragging effect caused by a rotating gravitational field such as that of a rotating black hole. With these topics of interest should I become and Astrophysicist or a physicist?

MikeD1 said:
By parallel universes I was referring to Everest's multiple world interpretation of quantum mechanics, I've read that this interpretation is gaining popularity among cosmologists because it eliminates the need for the collapse of a particles wave function.

The problem with interpretations of quantum mechanics is that there are several of them which as far as we know are all mathematically equivalent. Most physics courses in quantum focus mainly on solving problems with specific situations, and so the philosophy is something that isn't emphasized.

Also, I think you are somewhat mistaken about the popularity of the multiple world interpretation.

And higher dimensions was referring to the 10, 11 or more dimensions proposed in string theory so unite the gravity force with the other three forces.

This is pretty highly speculative, and I've sensed that there is a lot less optimism that it's the right approach than there was a few years ago.

Closed time loops is the frame dragging effect caused by a rotating gravitational field such as that of a rotating black hole.

It turns out that no one has gotten closed time loops to work.

With these topics of interest should I become and Astrophysicist or a physicist?

The bad news is that you'll only be able to do useful research on at most one of the three, so pick the one that is most interesting and then get the math background to be able to work on the problems. The important thing is to get the math skills and also to analyze ordinary situations. Once you have the math skills, then at that point you can figure out in what direction to go based on what research is being done.

I'm being very vague because in research you almost never end up where you intended to end up. You start walking in a general direction, and as you find things you end up changing direction and hopefully you end up finding something useful along the way.

1. What is the difference between theoretical physics and astrophysics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It deals with understanding the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy. Astrophysics, on the other hand, is a branch of astronomy that applies the principles of physics to study and understand celestial objects and phenomena.

2. Do theoretical physicists and astrophysicists study the same topics?

While there is some overlap in the topics studied by theoretical physicists and astrophysicists, they primarily focus on different areas. Theoretical physicists often study the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions. Astrophysicists, on the other hand, study the properties and behavior of objects such as stars, galaxies, and black holes.

3. Are the methods used in theoretical physics and astrophysics the same?

The methods used in theoretical physics and astrophysics are similar in that they both utilize mathematical models and principles. However, the specific techniques and tools used may differ depending on the topic being studied. For example, theoretical physicists may use advanced mathematical equations and computer simulations to study particle interactions, while astrophysicists may use telescopes and other observational tools to study celestial objects.

4. Can someone be both a theoretical physicist and an astrophysicist?

While there are some scientists who specialize in both theoretical physics and astrophysics, it is more common for individuals to focus on one or the other. The two fields require different skill sets and knowledge, so it can be challenging to excel in both simultaneously. However, there are areas of overlap between the two, and some researchers may have expertise in both fields.

5. How do theoretical physics and astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Theoretical physics and astrophysics are crucial in advancing our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. Theoretical physicists develop models and theories that help us explain and predict the behavior of particles and forces, which is essential for understanding the building blocks of the universe. Astrophysicists, on the other hand, use their knowledge of physics to study and interpret observations of celestial objects, providing insights into the formation and evolution of the universe.