What physics fields having to do with space are growing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a career in physics, specifically in the field of space. They mention their initial interest in theoretical physics, but realizing the low job demand. Other potential fields are mentioned, such as astrophysics, but the individual is unsure about job opportunities and their personal preferences. The job market for physicists and astronomers is expected to be competitive, with more opportunities in applied research and development. Federal funding also plays a significant role in job prospects.
jhus96
I'm in my first semester at a JC and I'm trying to figure out what kind of physics I might want to pursue as a career. I know I love space, and I want to be able to apply my math towards it. What initially sparked my interest in physics was theoretical physics, however, I soon realized the job demand was low. I've also looked into astrophysics because that sounds like something I would love but I haven't gotten any specific information on the job market. I also don't know what I'd do with an astrophysics major (I'd rather not be a professor as I dislike teaching and am bad at it). Also, don't be shy to name other fields of physics besides astrophysics that focus on space because I'm still trying to figure out what field to pursue.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to look at these sites.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/physicists-and-astronomers.htm

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/physicists-and-astronomers.htm#tab-8

Job Prospects
Competition for permanent research appointments, such as those at colleges and universities, is expected to be strong. Increasingly, those with a Ph.D. need to work through multiple postdoctoral appointments before finding a permanent position. In addition, the number of research proposals submitted for funding has been growing faster than the amount of funds available, causing more competition for research grants.

Despite competition for traditional research jobs, prospects should be good for physicists in applied research, development, and related technical fields. Graduates with any academic degree in physics or astronomy, from bachelor’s degree to doctorate, will find their knowledge of science and mathematics useful for entry into many other occupations.

A large part of physics and astronomy research depends on federal funds, so federal budgets have a large impact on job prospects from year to year. This is especially true for astronomers, who are more likely than physicists to depend on federal funding for their work.

1. What is the field of astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. How is cosmology related to physics?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is closely related to physics as it uses the laws of physics to understand the behavior and properties of the universe.

3. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena through observation, while astrophysics is the application of physics to understand the behavior and properties of these objects.

4. What is the role of quantum mechanics in space physics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. In space physics, it is used to understand the behavior of particles and energy in space, such as in black holes and the early universe.

5. How is space physics contributing to technological advancements?

Space physics research has led to the development of various technologies that have significantly impacted our daily lives, including GPS technology, satellite communication, and medical imaging. It also continues to drive advancements in space exploration and understanding our universe.