Is String Theory Limiting Our Understanding of Reality?

• Thread starter bostonnew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, string theory is a current attempt to discover a theory of everything and it involves understanding the concept of strings as a way to explore the deepest level of reality. However, there are also other entities, such as D-branes, involved in the theory and strings may just be a stepping stone to a more fundamental theory. The reason for focusing on strings is due to its renormalizability and conformal symmetry, allowing for calculations to be done.
bostonnew
Hi all,

I'm very curious about the current attempts to discover a theory of everything, and therefore naturally trying to understand better what string theory is about.

One thing I don't understand is why anyone would use the label of 'strings' when we don't yet know what the theory will look like.

What if reality at the deepest level is represented by mathematical structures of different kinds, perhaps many forms we don't yet have names for? I understand the simplicity and beauty in assuming that it will be exclusively in the form of strings, but isn't that a dangerous assumptions if it leads us away from thinking about other possibilities?

There must be good reasons for this, unless I'm missing something. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!
Malthe

Physics news on Phys.org
bostonnew said:
...I understand the simplicity and beauty in assuming that it will be exclusively in the form of strings, but isn't that a dangerous assumptions if it leads us away from thinking about other possibilities?

Who says that one is only thinking about strings? We know since many years that what was formerly known as string theory contains other entities as well, and in particular 11D M-Theory is not a theory primarily based on strings at all.

The reason why people started out with fundamental strings, is because this theory is renormalizable. On top of that, strings give you a symmetry called "conformal symmetry", enabling you to actually do calculations with it.

But as Surprised said, string theory is much richer than only having strings. String theory also contains objects called "D-branes", which are solutions of the theory describing higher-dimensional objects. And maybe the strings are just an intermediate step to some more fundamental theory.

1. Why do scientists study strings?

Scientists study strings because they are a fundamental component of the universe. String theory attempts to explain the fundamental particles and forces in the universe by treating them as tiny, vibrating strings.

2. How do strings relate to the study of physics?

Strings are the building blocks of particles and forces in the universe, so studying them is essential to understanding the laws of physics. String theory also offers a potential solution to the unification of all physical forces.

3. Can strings be observed or measured?

No, strings are too small to be observed or measured directly. They are estimated to be about 10^-33 centimeters in length, which is much smaller than any current technology can detect.

4. Are there any practical applications of string theory?

At this time, there are no practical applications of string theory. However, the research and understanding gained from studying strings may lead to future advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

5. Is string theory a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been proven by experimental evidence. It is a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.