Proof of Closed Set by Induction

In summary, the individual is seeking help in proving that a set is closed by induction and presents their approach for achieving this. They ask for clarification on whether they can assume the closure of a subset in their proof. The expert advises them to be more specific in their notation and explains that it is generally acceptable to use the assumption they proposed in their proof.
submartingale
Hello all,

I am trying to prove that a set is closed by induction. Specifically, let me define

Let B_t be sets, and A_T:=sum{B_t: t=1, .., T}=Sum{b_t: b_t in B_t, and t=1, ..., T}
A property that these sets have is that B_s is a subset of B_t for s<=t.

I try to prove A_T is closed by the following argument:

1) First show B_1 is closed.
2) Assume Sum{B_t: t=2, ..., T} is closed.
3) Prove A_T is closed.

My question is whether I can assume that Sum{B_t: t=2, ...T} is closed instead of Sum{B_t: t=1, ...T-1} in 2)

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help or suggestions!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach to proving that A_T is closed by induction. Your argument seems sound, but I would suggest being more specific in your notation. For example, instead of using "Sum" notation, you could use the sigma symbol (Σ) to denote summation. Also, in your third step, it would be helpful to clarify how you plan to use the assumption from the second step in your proof.

To answer your question, it is generally acceptable to use the assumption that Sum{B_t: t=2, ..., T} is closed instead of Sum{B_t: t=1, ..., T-1} in your proof. This is because, if the set is closed for all t=2, ..., T, then it must also be closed for t=1. However, it would be a good idea to include a brief explanation of why this assumption is valid in your proof.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your proof!

1. What is "Proof By Induction"?

"Proof By Induction" is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all integers greater than or equal to a certain number. It involves breaking the statement down into smaller cases and then proving that the statement holds for the smallest case, known as the base case, and for any subsequent cases, known as the inductive step.

2. How does "Proof By Induction" work?

The process of "Proof By Induction" involves three main steps: establishing the base case, assuming the inductive hypothesis, and proving the inductive step. The base case is used to show that the statement is true for the smallest case, while the inductive hypothesis is the assumption that the statement is true for some arbitrary case. The inductive step involves using the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next case in the sequence.

3. When is "Proof By Induction" used?

"Proof By Induction" is typically used to prove statements that involve integers or discrete objects, such as mathematical formulas, algorithms, or properties of sequences and series. It is also used in computer science and other fields to prove the correctness of programs or algorithms.

4. What are the advantages of using "Proof By Induction"?

One of the main advantages of "Proof By Induction" is that it provides a simple and efficient way to prove that a statement is true for an infinite number of cases. It also allows for the use of strong mathematical induction, which can be used to prove statements that are not necessarily true for the smallest case, but are true for all larger cases.

5. What are the limitations of "Proof By Induction"?

While "Proof By Induction" is a powerful tool for proving statements, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to prove statements that are true for integers or discrete objects, and it may not be applicable to all types of mathematical problems. Additionally, it requires careful attention to detail and may not always be straightforward to apply.