I think steryotype is not really good

• Thread starter Giantbab
  • Start date
In summary: Apparently you don't think that they are worth the effort.I must admit at times I am fearful for my soul, father -- ur, arildno, I meant.So you are fearing the unkown, then?Don't we all? Of course there is a good deal of stereotyping the unknown, right there. Is unknown bad? Not necessarily, I guess. It's a little like swimming. If you don't know how to swim then water is the great unknown. But once you learn swimming it doesn't bother you at all. It could be rain or shine, dark or light, cold or warm, you could swim and water wouldn't have a spell on you.
Giantbab
can u please tell me what you think about it ?

i think steryotype is not really good, because we all undress before enter the bathroom. how bout you ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Giantbab said:

i think steryotype is not really good

At this point, I tend to agree with you

Giantbab said:
because we all undress before enter the bathroom

But at this point, I have no idea what your talking about

I'm with Pengwuino on both accounts.

Gaintbab:

"Stereotype" is just a word.

Perhaps you could share (more of) your thoughts with us so that we may have a discussuon about them.

Giantbab said:

i think steryotype is not really good, because we all undress before enter the bathroom. how bout you ?
Actually, I don't.
If I'm sweaty one day and want a shower (located in the bathroom), I go fully clothed INTO the bathroom, and undress THERE.
And THEN I go into the shower (fully unclothed), leaving my sweaty clothes in the laundry bin, also located in the bathroom).

So I don't really understand your question.

What are you insinuating, that you are one of those "cleaner than thou"? Are you a prude? Uptight about cleanliness, are we? Someone showering with their swimsuit on is somehow different than you? If someone was swimming in a business suit, would you be offended? How about observant muslim women on the beach with virtually every part of their body covered? How do you feel about that?

EnumaElish said:
What are you insinuating, that you are one of those "cleaner than thou"? Are you a prude? Uptight about cleanliness, are we? Someone showering with their swimsuit on is somehow different than you? If someone was swimming in a business suit, would you be offended? How about observant muslim women on the beach with virtually every part of their body covered? How do you feel about that?
Yes, I must admit that I have some unwarranted prejudices against males taking a swim in their business suit.
I'll have to work on that..

arildno said:
Yes, I must admit that I have some unwarranted prejudices against males taking a swim in their business suit.
I'll have to work on that..

no no, its perfectly acceptable and more men should be ashamed to be in their bathing suits... especially if there fat hairy people on vacatation for 3 days at the beach.

EnumaElish said:
How about observant muslim women on the beach with virtually every part of their body covered? How do you feel about that?
This offends me greatly, women exist to please the eye, how dare they try to cover up.

Smurf said:
This offends me greatly, women exist to please the eye, how dare they try to cover up.
Actually, this doesn't bother me a lot.

Smurf said:
I feel that you are stereotyping women.

EnumaElish said:
I feel that you are stereotyping women.

Stop stereotyping smurf

arildno said:
Actually, this doesn't bother me a lot.
Are you stereotyping muslims? Are you saying that they are not good Muslims if they don't cover up their women?

EnumaElish said:
Are you stereotyping muslims? Are you saying that they are not good Muslims if they don't cover up their women?

How woudl that be a stereotype? If their religion dictates women are to be covered up, then they would certainly be exhibiting traits of being a bad muslim. The word "stereotype" does not fit in this case. Maybe if covering up wasn't important in the Muslim religion and non-Muslims thought it was, you could call it a mis-conception... but i don't think "sterotype" fits here.

So we should let them marry 4 women? If you're not letting them to marry 4 women, then aren't you condemning their souls to eternal damnation? Or even worse :smile: eternal peer ridicule for not being good Muslims?

EnumaElish said:
So we should let them marry 4 women? If you're not letting them to marry 4 women, then aren't you condemning their souls to eternal damnation? Or even worse :smile: eternal peer ridicule for not being good Muslims?
Are you stereotyping after-life in hell?
What do you know about it?

arildno said:
Are you stereotyping after-life in hell?
What do you know about it?
I must admit at times I am fearful for my soul, father -- ur, arildno, I meant.

So you are fearing the unkown, then?

Pengwuino said:
Stop stereotyping smurf
:rofl: :rofl: oh man, that made me laugh out loud.

arildno said:
So you are fearing the unkown, then?
Don't we all? Of course there is a good deal of stereotyping the unknown, right there. Is unknown bad? Not necessarily, I guess. It's a little like swimming. If you don't know how to swim then water is the great unknown. But once you learn swimming it doesn't bother you at all. It could be rain or shine, dark or light, cold or warm, you could swim and water wouldn't have a spell on you.1

That explains the endless attempts to communicate with the netherworld, in my opinion.

But, do stereotypes have (or imply) a negative moral connotation? Are all stereotypes bad? Or are they not bad in themselves but somehow have undesirable social consequences? Or they are bad because they tend to exclude one group of people one way or the other?

EnumaElish said:
Yes, No, No. While Islam accepts multiple marriages, it does not require it. The first question is a matter of opinion.

1. What is a stereotype?

A stereotype is a widely held but oversimplified and often negative idea or belief about a particular group of people. It can be based on characteristics such as race, gender, age, or religion.

2. Why is stereotype harmful?

Stereotyping can lead to discrimination and prejudice, which can negatively impact individuals and society as a whole. It can also limit opportunities and perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

3. How does stereotype affect individuals?

Stereotyping can have a negative impact on an individual's self-esteem and confidence. It can also lead to feelings of isolation, discrimination, and unfair treatment.

4. Can stereotypes be positive?

While stereotypes are typically negative, they can also be positive. However, even positive stereotypes can be harmful as they still limit individuals and perpetuate biases.

5. How can we combat stereotypes?

We can combat stereotypes by acknowledging and challenging our own biases, educating ourselves about different cultures and backgrounds, and promoting diversity and inclusivity in our communities. It is also important to speak out against stereotypes and discrimination when we see it happening.