Don't understand what the problem wants.

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to plot an engineering stress-strain diagram using two scales for the unit strain, one ranging from zero to approximately 0.02 in/in and the other from zero to the maximum strain. The data provided includes two tables for a specimen of medium-carbon steel, labeled "Elastic State" and "Plastic State", with information on Load vs. Elongation and Load vs. Area. The question is asking for help in understanding how to plot the graph and how to find the strain for the plastic part without having the elongation data. It may be helpful to seek assistance in the Engineering section for further clarification.
Physics_wiz
Ok, this problem is from my Intermediate Mechanics of Materials class. Given are two tables for a specimen of medium-carbon steel with initial diameter 0.503 in and gauge length 2 in. The two tables are labeled "Elastic State" and "Plastic State".

The first table gives the Load vs. Elongation...Load ranging from 1,000 lbf to 9,200 lbf and Elongation ranging from 0.0004 into 0.0089 in.

The second table gives load vs. Area. Load ranging from 8,800 lbf to 14,800 lbf and Area ranging from 0.1984 in^2 to 0.1077 in^2.

The question is to plot the engineering stress-strain diagram using two scales for the unit strain (epsilon), one from zero to about 0.02 in/in and the other from zero to maximum strain.

I don't understand what it means by the bold part. Also, how can I plot stress vs strain for the plastic part if I only have the change in area...I don't have the elongation so I can't find strain.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. Should I be posting this in the Engineering section instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's asking you to plot a graph where the first part is in a separate scale to the 2nd, so that the graph is easier to look at. The first scale should be used from 0 to 0.02in and the next from there on.

It's so that a squiggly graph that goes all over the place is changed into a curve or a straight line with just multiple scales.

I've only done the first bit of Stress-strain so I don't have any idea how you would actually go about this question.

As a scientist, my suggestion would be to first clarify any confusion with your instructor or classmates on the specific problem and what is expected of you. It is important to fully understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

In terms of plotting the engineering stress-strain diagram, you can use the information from both tables to create the plot. The first table gives you the load and elongation values, which can be used to calculate the strain using the formula strain = elongation/original length. The second table gives you the load and area values, which can be used to calculate the stress using the formula stress = load/area.

To plot the diagram, you can use two different scales for the strain, one from zero to about 0.02 in/in and the other from zero to the maximum strain. This will allow you to accurately represent the changes in strain over the range of values provided in the tables.

As for the plastic state, you can use the information from the second table to plot the stress-strain diagram for this phase. While you do not have the elongation values, you can still calculate the strain using the change in area and the original length. This will give you an idea of the behavior of the material in the plastic state.

In conclusion, it is important to have a clear understanding of the problem and to use all the information provided to accurately plot the engineering stress-strain diagram. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to seek assistance from your instructor or classmates. And yes, posting this question in the Engineering section may also provide helpful insights and perspectives.

FAQ: Don't understand what the problem wants.

1. What is the first step in understanding the problem?

The first step in understanding any problem is to carefully read and analyze the problem statement. Pay attention to any key words or phrases that may give clues about the problem and its requirements.

2. How can I break down a complex problem into manageable parts?

One method is to create a list of sub-problems or smaller tasks that need to be completed in order to solve the overall problem. This can help to make the problem more manageable and easier to understand.

3. Why is it important to identify the problem's constraints?

Constraints are important because they set boundaries for the problem and can help guide your problem-solving approach. By understanding the limitations and restrictions of the problem, you can focus on finding a solution within those parameters.

4. How can I use visualization to better understand the problem?

Visualization can be a powerful tool for understanding complex problems. Try drawing diagrams or creating visual representations of the problem and its components. This can help you see the problem from different perspectives and identify potential solutions.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand what the problem wants?

If you are still struggling to understand the problem, try discussing it with others. Sometimes getting a fresh perspective or bouncing ideas off of someone else can help clarify the problem. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts to make it easier to understand.