Tensile Tests Load-Extension into Stress-Strain

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating and creating a Strain-Stress Graph from Load-Extension tables obtained through tensile testing of various materials. The main issue is determining the strain between the gauge length from the overall sample length, as well as the appropriate formula to use. The equation for strain is provided, as well as a reminder that it is a dimensionless variable and thus not affected by the overall sample length. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to make markings on the sample at the gauge length for accurate measurements.
ajwinkworth

Homework Statement

Via tensile testing of various materials I have been supplied with Load-Extension tables. I must calculate and show the Strain-Stress Graph. I know from this it is fairly easy to calculate the stress by force/area. What I am having trouble with is strain.

I have a gauge length of 50mm but the actual piece of material was longer. When putting the broken sample back together I have a measurement of the elongated sample (plasticity deformed). The problem I seem to be having is obtaining the strain for between the gauges from extension of the overall sample. I do not know and was never instructed to record the overall length of the sample. The Samples were dog bone shape with materials of brass, copper, nylon and polystyrene.

Is there some way to convert from the extensions of the overall piece to strain between the gauge? Seems like some information is missing for me to be able to do this? Or is the gauge length not important for this? if i just go by the extensions then the original length is [tex]l_o = 0[/tex] so i would get a divide by zero out of the equation for strain.

Homework Equations

Strain:
[tex]\epsilon = \frac{l_i-l_o}{l_o}[/tex]

[tex]l_o = ?[/tex] Can that be gauge length? It just doesn't seem right?

Stress:
[tex]\sigma = \frac{F}{A_o}[/tex]

Strain involving gauge lengths:
missing?

The Attempt at a Solution

After a pointer to a formula or theory rather then a solution. (Or a D.N.E)

Physics news on Phys.org
The strain is based on the gauge length alone, because, in testing errorss creep in principally due to the jaws of the machine slipping. So you can't base the strain on the distance apart of the jaws. I imagine you are looking at strain just in the elastic region? Why do you say that ell nought cannot be the gauge length?

I know I'm a little late and you don't care about the answer, but someone else may someday. Basically, strain is a dimensionless variable (units of distance/distance). Thus, it doesn't matter how long your sample is, only the ratio of how much the sample elongated (final length - initial length) divided by the initial length. Thus, to do the experiment, you need to make markings on your dogbone that is your gauge length. You will then elongate it in the machine (usually until fracture). Once fractured (and even if not), you will measure the new distance between the markings you originally made for your gauge length (this length will be larger than the gauge length). To get strain, you take the difference between the final and initial length and divide that by the initial length.

Boom.

1. What is a tensile test load-extension into stress-strain?

A tensile test load-extension into stress-strain is a type of mechanical test used to determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength and ductility. This test involves applying a gradually increasing load to a sample of the material until it breaks, while measuring the resulting extension and stress on the sample. The data collected from this test can then be used to create a stress-strain curve, which shows the relationship between the applied load and resulting strain on the material.

2. Why are tensile tests load-extension into stress-strain important?

Tensile tests load-extension into stress-strain are important because they provide valuable information about the mechanical properties of a material, which can help in material selection and design processes. This data can also be used to ensure the safety and reliability of materials in various applications.

3. What types of materials are typically tested using tensile tests load-extension into stress-strain?

Tensile tests load-extension into stress-strain can be used to test a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites, and even biological tissues. This test is commonly performed on materials that are expected to experience tensile forces in their intended use, such as structural components or consumer products.

4. How is stress and strain calculated in a tensile test load-extension into stress-strain?

In a tensile test load-extension into stress-strain, stress is calculated by dividing the applied load by the original cross-sectional area of the sample. Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length of the sample by the original length of the sample.

5. What are some factors that can affect the results of a tensile test load-extension into stress-strain?

The results of a tensile test load-extension into stress-strain can be affected by various factors such as the type of material being tested, the temperature and humidity of the testing environment, the speed of loading, and the size and shape of the sample. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain accurate and reliable data from the test.