Business idea : selling live daggers to schoolkids. Looking for investors.

In summary, the Canadian supreme court recently ruled that it was permissible for Sikhs to wear their ceremonial Kirpan to school, as it was deemed no more dangerous than other common items. The religion, originating from northern India about 500 years ago, has around 22 million followers and views the Kirpan as a symbol of defense for the defenseless, but it is now only used ceremonially and never taken out of its sheath. There have been concerns about the safety of having a child as the only armed individual in a school, and the potential for accidents with such a large number of people wearing knives in public. However, the majority view is that Sikh followers are peaceful and responsible individuals and the ruling is a sign of respect for their
Gonzolo
Canada's supreme court decided this week it was okay for Sikh to wear their ceremonial Kirpan to school. They were judged to be no more dangerous than baseball bats or scissors, though they remain banned in airplanes or courtrooms.

The religion is about 500 years old, originates from northern India, and has around 22 M followers. Stricly speaking, the knife is originally designed to slice a throat, and I understand they are historically meant to allow the wearer to defend a hypothetical victim. It is now strictly ceremonial, and never taken out of its sheath, though they are worn all day long from from puberty on.

To me, there is something unsettling when the only armed individual in a school is a kid. And statistically speaking, when 22 M people wear knives in public, I find it hard to believe no accidents ever happen (He WAS aiming for the quail after all.).

I am convinced that Sikh followers are cool, peaceful people. I am not convinced that leaving the steel at home is so difficult.

Does anyone know of similar cases elsewhere in the world? Will anyone defend me and my ceremonial nunchuks in court? In the name of equal opportunity, who will help me sell daggers to the rest of school kids out there? Any additionnal info on Sikhism and statistics welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
1] Knives don't kill people... (fill in the blank)

2] "Will anyone defend me and my ceremonial nunchuks in court?" Sure, when your religion is, as you point out, 500 years old and practiced by 22M people.

3] "I am not convinced that leaving the steel at home is so difficult." Who said anything about difficult? We believe in multiculturalism. We support their Right to their religion. Period. If you don't, well, you know where you can move to - it's not far.

selling daggers to school kids?I think that you will sell stock well...But it would it mean that teachers would have to have daggers too?If teachers get to have daggers then there is no way anyone is going to invest(that decion could be overturned if PE teahcers, math teachers and ecconimic teachers have daggers)

Well, here in the US, a kid I knew in middle school got expelled for carrying a comb that looked like a knife. Reasonable is probably somewhere in between here and there.

The switchblade comb. Yeah, I needed one for my flattop...

Hey man, I've got my head completely buzzed right now, and I still comb it.

What a stupid thread intended to be a mockery of their religion. Honestly, what the hell is this crap and why is it still up? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No need to assume what my intentions are, cyrusabdollahi. If you find me to be ignorant, teach me.

Gonzolo said:
No need to assume what my intentions are, cyrusabdollahi. If you find me to be ignorant, teach me.
Hm. Your post did not sound like someone who wanted to learn. It sounded like someone who had just finished the second coat of shellac on his opinions and was just wheeling it out to show people.

The lesson is really quite simple. Canadians, as a people, support the Right for all races and religions to keep their cultural identity and practice their beliefs (when it does not pose a direct thread or person or property) unmolested by others.

You either agree with that or you do not. Go from there.

As a Canadian, I do not agree with the ruling, but I have an open mind.

My core question :

"Does anyone know of similar cases elsewhere in the world?"

Gonzolo said:
Canada's supreme court decided this week it was okay for Sikh to wear their ceremonial Kirpan to school. They were judged to be no more dangerous than baseball bats or scissors, though they remain banned in airplanes or courtrooms.

The religion is about 500 years old, originates from northern India, and has around 22 M followers. Stricly speaking, the knife is originally designed to slice a throat, and I understand they are historically meant to allow the wearer to defend a hypothetical victim. It is now strictly ceremonial, and never taken out of its sheath, though they are worn all day long from from puberty on.

To me, there is something unsettling when the only armed individual in a school is a kid. And statistically speaking, when 22 M people wear knives in public, I find it hard to believe no accidents ever happen (He WAS aiming for the quail after all.).

I am convinced that Sikh followers are cool, peaceful people. I am not convinced that leaving the steel at home is so difficult.

Does anyone know of similar cases elsewhere in the world? Will anyone defend me and my ceremonial nunchuks in court? In the name of equal opportunity, who will help me sell daggers to the rest of school kids out there? Any additionnal info on Sikhism and statistics welcome.

Part of the scotish national dress, is called a skindo (ski-in-do) which is a small dagger you wear in your sock whilest you wear your kilt. Nowadays they are blunt like a letter opener, I would suspect that the dagger sikh's wear is the same..

Wait a second, what is a "live dagger"?

Gonzolo said:
As a Canadian, I do not agree with the ruling, but I have an open mind.

My core question :

"Does anyone know of similar cases elsewhere in the world?"
There was a similar controversy in the UK some years back (1976) when it was made compulsory to wear a crash helmet when riding (or a pillion passenger) on a motorbike.

It became quite heated for a while when the british Sikhs asked for an exemption as their religion required them to wear their turban. The gov't at first refused citing public safety and the high medical costs associated with head injuries, with the Sikhs pointing out that the British gov't had been quite happy to give them an exemption from wearing helmets whilst fighting for the British during WW2.

In the end the exemption was granted and Sikhs do not have to wear a crash helmet on a motorbike if they are wearing a turban.

More recently In February of 1998, the British Army introduced revolutionary allowances in their dress code to enable Sikhs to carry their kirpan. Also In 1999, the top legal official in England, Lord Chancellor Irvine, issued a formal, public apology to a Sikh solicitor (attorney) whose kirpan was confiscated as he entered the High Court in London. Lord Irvine had previously issued a directive to court staff that they should respect Sikh traditional dress, including allowance of the kirpan in court, as long as it was no longer than six inches in length. The same Sikh man was able to enter the Palace of Westminster with his kirpan (June 1999).

Sikh schoolkids in Britain are also allowed to carry a kirpan although there was controversy a while back when one school whilst allowing the carrying of the kirpan sent a christian girl home for refusing to remove the small crucifix she was wearing. http://www.panthic.org/news/124/ARTICLE/2068/2005-12-11.html

In general though it seems this type of religious tolerance is quite widespread.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the potential risks and legal implications of selling live daggers to schoolkids?

The potential risks of selling live daggers to schoolkids are numerous. First and foremost, it is illegal to sell weapons to minors in most countries. This could result in legal consequences for both the seller and the buyers. Additionally, there is a high risk of accidents and injuries if the daggers are mishandled or used in a violent manner. This could lead to lawsuits and damage to the reputation of the business. It is important to thoroughly research and understand the laws and regulations surrounding the sale of weapons before pursuing this business idea.

2. How will you ensure the safety of the schoolkids who purchase the daggers?

Safety should be the top priority when selling live daggers to schoolkids. This could include implementing strict age verification processes, providing safety instructions and warnings with each purchase, and offering training or classes on proper handling and care of the daggers. It may also be necessary to have a liability insurance policy in case of any accidents or injuries.

3. What is the target market for this business idea?

The target market for selling live daggers to schoolkids is very limited and niche. It may appeal to a small group of students who are interested in collecting or using daggers for self-defense. However, it is important to consider the potential backlash and criticism from parents, schools, and the general public. It may be difficult to find investors who are willing to support this controversial business idea.

4. How will you market and advertise this business?

Marketing and advertising for this business idea will have to be carefully planned and executed. Traditional methods such as print or TV ads may not be suitable due to the sensitive nature of the product. It may be more effective to target specific online communities or events that cater to individuals interested in weapons and self-defense. It is also important to have a strong online presence and use social media to showcase the products and reach potential customers.

5. What is the potential for profit with this business idea?

The potential for profit with selling live daggers to schoolkids is uncertain. As mentioned earlier, the target market is limited and the business may face legal and safety challenges. It is also important to consider the cost of producing and selling these daggers, as well as any potential licensing or permit fees. Investors will want to see a solid business plan and financial projections before considering investing in this idea.

Back