Ideal Voltmeters of DC Circuits

In summary, an ideal voltmeter should have infinite resistance to ensure that no current is diverted through it. This prevents any disturbance in the circuit readings and allows for accurate measurement of the circuit's behavior. If the voltmeter had a lower resistance, it would cause current to flow through it and affect the circuit readings, which is not desirable.
bjgawp
I've read that an ideal voltmeter would have infinite resistance. I've done some searching and I've found that the infinite resistance ensures that no current is diverted through the voltmeter. Why is that? I thought it would be the other way around and essentially "eat up" the current ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I = V/R

If R->infinity then I -> 0.

You've got it inverted somehow.

A voltmeter is connected in parallel over a circuit. If the voltmeter has a very large resistance then very little current will flow throught it and it will have a very small (disturbing) influence on the circuit. If it had a small resistance on the other hand current would "leak out" of the circuit into the voltmeter and thereby causing the circuit readings to change when it is connected - an undesirable effect, since we want to know what the citcuit is doing when it (the voltmeter) is not connected.

FAQ: Ideal Voltmeters of DC Circuits

1. What is an ideal voltmeter?

An ideal voltmeter is a theoretical instrument used to measure the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It has infinite resistance and does not draw any current from the circuit, ensuring that the measurement is not affected by the voltmeter itself.

2. How does an ideal voltmeter work?

An ideal voltmeter works by connecting across two points in a circuit, creating a parallel branch. It measures the voltage drop across its own terminals and displays the value on a scale calibrated in volts. The voltmeter has infinite resistance, so it does not affect the voltage at the points being measured.

3. What are the advantages of using an ideal voltmeter?

The main advantage of using an ideal voltmeter is that it does not disturb the circuit being measured. It has infinite resistance, so it does not draw any current from the circuit, ensuring that the voltage at the points being measured remains unchanged. This makes it ideal for precise and accurate measurements.

4. How is an ideal voltmeter different from a real voltmeter?

An ideal voltmeter is a theoretical concept and does not exist in reality. In contrast, a real voltmeter has a small but finite resistance and draws a small amount of current from the circuit being measured. This can affect the voltage at the points being measured and result in slightly different readings compared to an ideal voltmeter.

5. Can an ideal voltmeter be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, an ideal voltmeter can be used for both AC and DC circuits. It is not affected by the frequency or waveform of the voltage being measured, as long as the voltage remains within its measurement range. However, in practical applications, voltmeters are often designed specifically for either AC or DC circuits due to the differences in circuitry and measurement techniques.