Why a 20 Ohm lightbulb won't light up in a closed circuit?

In summary, when using the voltmeter and ammeter to investigate the circuit, it was found that the batter had a current of 0.67 A, the two 30 Ω bulbs had a current of 0.17 A, and the two 10 Ω bulbs had a current of 0.50 A. When the switch was closed, the 20 Ω bulb had a current and voltage of 0.
cbeck
Homework Statement
1. Why does that happen for circuit A? Use the tools (Voltmeter and Ammeter) to investigate your circuit and explain what happened
2. What is the total resistance the battery sees for circuit A when the switch is open? What is the total resistance the battery sees for circuit A when the switch is closed?
Relevant Equations
V = I*R
1613821077846.png

When using the voltmeter and ammeter to investigate the circuit, it was found that the batter had a current of 0.67 A, the two 30 Ω bulbs had a current of 0.17 A, and the two 10 Ω bulbs had a current of 0.50 A. In terms of voltage, each bulb had a voltage of 5 V. When the switch was closed, the 20 Ω bulb had a current and voltage of 0.

I was able to make the circuit as instructed, but I just cannot figure out the rationale behind why the bulb won't light up. I thought it had something to do with the fact that the current is not strong enough to divert into the 20 ohm bulb, but I'm just not sure. I know that Kirchhoff's rule in a closed loop is that the change in potential difference is 0, but I don't know if that fits with it. Could someone please walk me through how to figure this out? I'm really hoping to better understand the concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
The image is too small. When I blow it up, it is too fuzzy. I cannot see where this switch is.
Anyway, start by removing the 20Ω, leaving that part of the circuit open. This makes it easy to analyse what's left. If you put the bulb back in, what will the voltage across it be immediately?

Does this image work better for you? I'm sorry about that. When I put the bulb back in, the voltage across it is still 0V. I can see that the current doesn't even go through the wires to the 20 ohm bulb. Maybe because the potential is higher here? I know it will flow from high to low potential so perhaps that is an issue?

Attachments

• Circuit Construction Kit_ DC screenshot (3).png
    Circuit Construction Kit_ DC screenshot (3).png
    57.3 KB · Views: 100
cbeck said:
Maybe because the potential is higher here?

Higher where.

Here's how to solve the problem. (And I bet you won't do it). Draw a picture. A neat and clear picture. Not a screen capture, a picture. Label every point ahead and behind each element (bulb or battery). Now, tell me what the potential (voltage) is ahead and behind the bulb in question.

Last edited:
cbeck said:
Does this image work better for you? I'm sorry about that. When I put the bulb back in, the voltage across it is still 0V.
Yes, that's a lot clearer, thanks.
Perhaps I was not clear, though. With that bulb out, so there is no connection across between the middle of the top horizontal and the middle of the middle horizontal, use algebra to solve the circuit. What is the voltage across the gap left by removal of the bulb?

Last edited:
Let's get him to draw a proper labeled picture, and then we can sensibly discuss the potential between A and B. (Or S and Q, or whatever it turns out to be).

Likes SammyS, jim mcnamara and kuruman
I actually was able to figure it out. The potential ahead and behind of the bulb are the same in this case. Which means that there is no potential difference and when there is no potential difference, there can be no current because of change in V = IR. And with no current, it's impossible for there to be light. Thank you for the help!

Likes Charles Link

1. Why does a 20 Ohm lightbulb not light up in a closed circuit?

A 20 Ohm lightbulb may not light up in a closed circuit because the resistance of the lightbulb is too high for the amount of voltage available in the circuit. This means that the current flowing through the circuit is not strong enough to produce the necessary amount of energy to light up the bulb.

2. Can a 20 Ohm lightbulb light up in a closed circuit with a higher voltage?

Yes, a 20 Ohm lightbulb may be able to light up in a closed circuit with a higher voltage. This is because a higher voltage will result in a stronger current flow, which can provide enough energy to light up the bulb despite its higher resistance.

3. What is the relationship between resistance and voltage in a closed circuit?

The relationship between resistance and voltage in a closed circuit is described by Ohm's law, which states that the voltage is directly proportional to the current and resistance. This means that as the resistance increases, the voltage must also increase to maintain a constant current flow.

4. How does the type of material used in a lightbulb affect its resistance?

The type of material used in a lightbulb can greatly affect its resistance. Materials with higher resistivity, such as tungsten, will have a higher resistance compared to materials with lower resistivity, such as copper. This is because the atoms in higher resistivity materials are more tightly packed, making it more difficult for electrons to flow through and resulting in a higher resistance.

5. Can a 20 Ohm lightbulb light up in a closed circuit with other components in the circuit?

Yes, a 20 Ohm lightbulb may be able to light up in a closed circuit with other components, such as resistors, in the circuit. The overall resistance of the circuit will depend on the individual resistances of each component and the way they are connected. If the total resistance of the circuit is low enough, the 20 Ohm lightbulb may be able to light up.