Adiabatic Expansion: Final Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving two cylinders with frictionless pistons that are constrained to move in the same direction and filled with the same mass of gas at the same temperature. The question is whether the gas in both cylinders will have the same final temperature, and it is determined that the gas that does more work will be cooler. This is due to the non-quasistatic process and the difference in resistance to expansion between the two cylinders. To compare the temperatures, a standard procedure is suggested involving multiple quasistatic alternative processes.
pdw
Just a question that will hopefully improve my lack of understanding.

A thought experiment.
I have two cylinders both with frictionless pistons constrained to move in the z direction (against gravity) the same distance in both. So, the intial volume and final volume will be the same for both cylinders. One piston is heavier than the other, it will require more work to move to the limit of travel. Each piston is held at the lower limit of travel until it is released and then can move to the upper limit. Each cylinder is filled with the same mass of gas at the same temperature. The pistons are released and both travel to the upper limit.
The process is adiabatic.

What will be the final temperature of the gas in both cases?

I would think different - the gas that does more work will be cooler. But if both start from the same point (P,V,T) both are constrained to follow an adiabat, so then both will end up at the same temperature (due to having the same final volume). Have I missed the meaning of an adiabat? Have I shown, in my thinking, a complete ineptness in understanding Physics?

Regards
pdw

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that those two cylinders are 'not' at the same pressure since one supports heavier piston than the other.

But the gas is not supporting the piston until the piston is released. The piston froms a rigid wall of the cylinder until release. Have I missed something obvious?

pdw said:
I would think different - the gas that does more work will be cooler. But if both start from the same point (P,V,T) both are constrained to follow an adiabat, so then both will end up at the same temperature (due to having the same final volume).

Yes, the gas that does more work will be cooler. The contradiction appears because your process is non-quasistatic: the pistons accelerate, then strike the second stop. You can't say what path the system is taking. In contrast, the adiabatic path you're comparing it to is quasistatic.

The standard procedure is to mimic a non-quasistatic process through multiple quasistatic alternative processes. You can take the cylinders to their final state this way by assuming that a reversible machine resists expansion in both cylinders and keeps the system quasistatic while the gas is expanding. Then, at the end of the expansion the energy obtained by the machine is dumped back in. Since the machine played less of a part in resisting expansion in the cylinder with a heavier piston (and therefore obtained less energy from work), that cylinder ends up cooler. Does this make sense?

Excellent, thank you.

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion refers to a process in which a gas expands without exchanging heat with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas decreases during expansion, as the molecules have more space to move around and their kinetic energy decreases, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

2. What factors affect the final temperature in adiabatic expansion?

The final temperature in adiabatic expansion is affected by the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, as well as the type of gas and the volume it expands into. The type of container used for expansion can also play a role, as well as any external factors such as friction or heat transfer from the surroundings.

3. How is the final temperature calculated in adiabatic expansion?

The final temperature in adiabatic expansion can be calculated using the adiabatic expansion equation: Tf = Ti * (Vf / Vi)^γ-1, where Tf is the final temperature, Ti is the initial temperature, Vf is the final volume, Vi is the initial volume, and γ is the ratio of specific heats for the gas.

4. Can the final temperature in adiabatic expansion ever be higher than the initial temperature?

No, the final temperature in adiabatic expansion can never be higher than the initial temperature. This is because the process is adiabatic, meaning no heat is added to the system. The decrease in temperature is a result of the gas expanding and doing work against the external pressure, which decreases the internal energy of the gas.

5. How is adiabatic expansion different from isothermal expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is different from isothermal expansion in that it does not maintain a constant temperature throughout the process. In isothermal expansion, heat is exchanged with the surroundings to keep the temperature constant, resulting in a smaller change in volume. In adiabatic expansion, there is no heat exchange and the temperature decreases, resulting in a larger change in volume.