What colleges to apply to (undergraduate)?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school senior who is currently applying to colleges and is looking for universities with well-developed physics programs and undergraduate research opportunities. Money is not a major factor. The individual has a current list of schools they are considering, but is open to suggestions. The conversation also includes a discussion on the competitive nature of college admissions and the importance of having good credentials and extracurricular activities. The speaker also advises not to get too caught up in the intense academic atmosphere and to focus on doing well. The conversation also mentions the broken system of college admissions and the potential for surprises in the application process.
Hallusk
As a current high school senior, I am currently applying to colleges. Which universities have well developed physics programs? I live in California (ie UC system is fairly easy to get into), and am looking for those universities offering undergraduate research opportunities. Money isn't too big of an issue.
My current list-
CalTech
MIT
Stanford
Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara

Physics news on Phys.org
And why don't you already know the answer?

Just looking for more I might apply to.

It really depends on what your GPA is, what your SAT/SAT II's/ACT's are, and what your extracurricular experience is, that way we can get a better understanding of where you are at in the admissions pool for each school... etc., but if you are applying to those schools I assume you are an outstanding student...

I feel I have a chance at getting into most schools with my current GPA/test scores. They are by no means the best, but definitely better than the majority of students. A plus is that I have passed BC Calc and both Physics C APs (ie the more advanced Aps) with 5's, as well as having taken a Light and Heat course from Stanford.

I don't think you realize how tough it is to get into these schools...

kids from my school who are going to Caltech/Stanford had 4.2+ GPA's, 34+ ACT's, and a good variety of extracurriculars that showed depth and accomplishment...

You need to be very, very motivated and have very good credentials...

I think pretty much any of the schools (as well as the UC schools) will give you a pretty good physics education. Also, whatever your chances of getting in, go ahead and apply since you lose very little by submitting an application.

Also, try not to get too sucked into the "overachieving career hyper-drive" lifestyle. Having been through that process, I'm pretty depressed sometimes looking at how dysfunctional the system is, so while you do have to deal with this college admission non-sense, try not to let it take over your life.

twofish-quant said:
I think pretty much any of the schools (as well as the UC schools) will give you a pretty good physics education. Also, whatever your chances of getting in, go ahead and apply since you lose very little by submitting an application.

Also, try not to get too sucked into the "overachieving career hyper-drive" lifestyle. Having been through that process, I'm pretty depressed sometimes looking at how dysfunctional the system is, so while you do have to deal with this college admission non-sense, try not to let it take over your life.

Please also listen to this, I have seen a large number of students loose focus and get depressed because of the ultra-intense atmosphere of academics... just do well, and you will be fine...

But do realize you must work... a lot...

But in all honesty unless you have a 4.0 GPA, a 34+ on the ACT and/or a 2200+ on the SAT, 700+ on SAT II subjects, have done some outstanding achievement outside the classroom (club president, commitment to something, and awards for doing so) ... and you have a good background and write good essays and recommendations... I wouldn't look forward to it... but I do encourage you to apply..

What twofish-quant says is very true.. the system is really broken. On the plus side, personally I was very sure I would not get into a a good school, and it turns out I only got accepted to the best school I applied to. So the outcome can really surprise you.

Since you have MIT on that list, I see you aren't only considering the West Coast. Princeton is also pretty good at physics, and their undergraduate program in general is first or second in the country.

FAQ: What colleges to apply to (undergraduate)?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing which colleges to apply to?

When deciding which colleges to apply to, it is important to consider factors such as the academic programs offered, location, campus culture, cost, and extracurricular opportunities. It is also important to think about your personal preferences and goals, as well as the specific requirements and qualifications of each college.

2. How many colleges should I apply to?

The number of colleges you should apply to depends on your personal preferences and goals, as well as your qualifications and chances of acceptance. It is generally recommended to apply to a range of 6-12 colleges, including a mix of reach, target, and safety schools.

3. Is it better to apply to a large or small college?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Large colleges often have more diverse academic programs and resources, as well as a larger student body and more opportunities for networking. Small colleges, on the other hand, typically have smaller class sizes and a closer-knit community. Consider what type of learning environment and campus culture you would thrive in.

4. How important are college rankings when choosing where to apply?

College rankings can be a helpful tool when researching colleges, but they should not be the sole factor in your decision. It is important to look beyond rankings and consider other factors such as the academic programs, campus culture, and personal fit. Additionally, rankings can often be subjective and may not accurately reflect the quality of education or experience at a particular college.

5. When should I start thinking about which colleges to apply to?

It is never too early to start thinking about which colleges to apply to. It is recommended to begin researching colleges and their requirements during your junior year of high school. This will give you enough time to explore your options and make informed decisions about where to apply.