Just when ya thought it was getting better

• News
  • Thread starter The Smoking Man
  • Start date
In summary, the U.S. is refusing to confirm or deny reports that the CIA operates secret prisons. President George W. Bush's national security adviser, Stephen Hadley, said that the United States will do what is necessary to fight and win the war on terrorism. Former president Jimmy Carter denounced what he said was a "profound and radical change in the basic policies or moral values of our country" in reaction to the report.
The Smoking Man
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051102/pl_afp/usattacksciaprisons_051102211903&printer=1;_ylt=AsZT3YPivmnNMZRUxdHNOcqtOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-" of this fine document <-- added becaue the system says I am not using enough words.
US on the defensive over reported secret CIA prisons

1 hour, 13 minutes ago

The White House refused to confirm or deny that the CIA operates secret prisons, known as "black sites," for Al-Qaeda suspects in Eastern Europe and other places around the world.

President George W. Bush's national security adviser, Stephen Hadley, said the United States will do what is necessary to fight and win the war on terrorism.

"The president has been very clear we're doing that in a way that is consistent with our values and that is why he's been very clear that the United States will not torture," Hadley told reporters.

"The United States will conduct its activities in compliance with law, (and) international obligations," he said.

The Washington Post reported that the prisons are, or have been, located in eight countries including Thailand, Afghanistan and "several democracies in Eastern Europe" since the system was set up after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The names of the eastern European countries were withheld by the Post "at the request of senior US officials," who argued that the disclosure might disrupt counter-terrorism efforts. Thailand denied there was a prison there.

Hadley and White House spokesman Scott McClellan refused to confirm or deny the Post report. "I would say that the president's most important responsibility is to protect the American people," McClellan said.

The refusal to discuss the matter was echoed by US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and the Central Intelligence Agency.

But former president Jimmy Carter denounced what he said was "a profound and radical change in the basic policies or moral values of our country" in reaction to the report.

"This is just one indication of what has been done under this administration to change the policies that have persisted all the way through our history," said Carter, who championed human rights during his 1977-81 presidency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Smoking Man said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051102/pl_afp/usattacksciaprisons_051102211903&printer=1;_ylt=AsZT3YPivmnNMZRUxdHNOcqtOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-" of this fine document <-- added becaue the system says I am not using enough words.
More like disclosure of democratic countries may cause terrorism in those countries. And surprise, surprise, the Bush administration is not responding one way or another. That's right, boys, just keep ignoring the press when you are asked a direct question.

You should see how conservatives are reacting to prisoner abuse. I just saw an email today that is being circulated: "An apology from a Three Star Marine Corps General" by Lieutenant General Chuck Pitman, US Marine Corps, Retired. I can't post the contents here, but it's twisted. PM me with an email address if you'd like me to forward it to you. I'm sure the conservatives have already received it. :yuck:

SOS2008 said:
More like disclosure of democratic countries may cause terrorism in those countries. And surprise, surprise, the Bush administration is not responding one way or another. That's right, boys, just keep ignoring the press when you are asked a direct question.
You should see how conservatives are reacting to prisoner abuse. I just saw an email today that is being circulated: "An apology from a Three Star Marine Corps General" by Lieutenant General Chuck Pitman, US Marine Corps, Retired. I can't post the contents here, but it's twisted. PM me with an email address if you'd like me to forward it to you. I'm sure the conservatives have already received it. :yuck:
Just look on redneck sites:

http://www.airlinecrew.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/172245/an/0/page/0#172245

What does the phrase "Just when ya thought it was getting better" mean?

The phrase "Just when ya thought it was getting better" is a common expression used to describe a situation where things seem to be improving, but then something unexpected or negative happens.

Why do people use this phrase?

People use this phrase to express disappointment or frustration when things take a turn for the worse after a period of improvement. It is often used in a sarcastic or ironic manner.

Is there a specific origin for this phrase?

There is no specific origin for this phrase. It is a colloquial expression that has likely evolved over time through common usage.

Can this phrase be used in a positive context?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a positive context, such as when something good happens unexpectedly after a string of negative events. It can also be used playfully in a situation where things were already going well.

Is this phrase considered to be a cliché?

While it is a commonly used expression, it is not necessarily considered a cliché. It can still effectively convey a sense of disappointment or surprise in a situation.