Value of a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set

In summary, the equality f(x)=\lim\limits_{\Omega\rightarrow\{x\}} \frac{1}{\mu(\Omega)}\int_\Omega f d\mu holds under the conditions that \Omega_i is a sequence of sets such that \Omega_{i+1}\subseteq\Omega_i and \bigcap\limits_{i=1}^{\infty} \Omega_i=\{x\}. Additionally, the sequence \{y_i\}_{i=1}^\infty where y_i=\frac{1}{\mu(\Omega_i)}\int_{\Omega_i} f d\mu must converge to f(x) as i approaches infinity. This is known as the Le
peb78
Hi. Under what conditions does the following equality hold?

[itex]f(x)=\lim\limits_{\Omega\rightarrow\{x\}} \frac{1}{\mu(\Omega)}\int_\Omega f d\mu[/itex]

where [itex]\mu[/itex] is some measure. Being a little more careful, let [itex]\Omega_i[/itex] be a sequence of sets such that [itex]\Omega_{i+1}\subseteq\Omega_i[/itex] and

[itex]\bigcap\limits_{i=1}^{\infty} \Omega_i=\{x\}[/itex].

Then, define the consider the sequence [itex]\{y_i\}_{i=1}^\infty[/itex] where

[itex]y_i=\frac{1}{\mu(\Omega_i)}\int_{\Omega_i} f d\mu[/itex]

Under what conditions does [itex]\lim\limits_{i\rightarrow\infty} y_i=f(x)[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

What is a measure theoretic integral?

A measure theoretic integral is a generalization of the traditional concept of integration in calculus. It allows for the integration of more complex and abstract functions over more complicated domains.

Why is the value of a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set important?

The value of a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set can provide insights into the behavior of a function near that set. It can also help in understanding the relationship between the integral and the measure of the set.

What is a domain shrinking to a single set?

A domain shrinking to a single set refers to the process of taking smaller and smaller subsets of a given set until it becomes a single point. This is often used in measure theory to study the behavior of a function near a particular point.

How is a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set calculated?

The value of a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set is typically calculated using the Lebesgue integral, which is a type of integration that takes into account the measure of the subsets of a given set. It involves partitioning the domain into smaller and smaller subsets and taking the limit of the integral over these subsets as the size of the subsets approaches zero.

What are the applications of studying the value of a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set?

Studying the value of a measure theoretic integral over a domain shrinking to a single set can have practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can also be used to prove important theorems in measure theory and to better understand the behavior of functions near a specific point or set.