reasons for miscalculation of spring work and change in ke

by uknew
Tags: miscalculation, reasons, spring, work
uknew
Apr7-12, 11:57 PM
P: 14
can anyone help me in figuring out why i got different answers in my calculated value to my experiment value (or maybe its normal) when i calculated the aproximate distance a projectile would shoot up when i compressed a spring thru a distance. i calculated the spring constant and found the final velocity of the projectile once in projectile motion(which would make it its initial as a projectile).i checked the distance it traveled vertcally.compred it to my calculated one and they were very different. can anyone help explain why?friction, weight of the spring were not considered.thank
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
uknew
Apr8-12, 12:31 AM
also how does cutting the spring change the stiffness or av. forfce exerted. ?will it go higher or the same?any help is good
Office_Shredder
Apr8-12, 12:35 AM
Mentor
P: 4,499
Hooke's law is under idealized conditions that you probably broke by compressing the spring as far as possible - at least this is a typical thing to do when shooting things up with springs. A full description of the setup and how you extracted the spring constant would allow us to better spot the problem

uknew
Apr20-12, 11:34 AM

reasons for miscalculation of spring work and change in ke

oh ok thanks

Register to reply