by eahaidar
Tags: math
Share this thread:
eahaidar
May15-14, 08:13 PM
P: 58
Hello everyone
I want to solve this equation
F(x)=Ax/((bx*x)+c =constant which is an odd function in which we get same positive and negative solutions for each F
But If I solve his equation I get two different x values for The same F any suggestions??
Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Mark44
May15-14, 08:38 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
Quote Quote by eahaidar View Post
Hello everyone
I want to solve this equation
F(x)=Ax/((bx*x)+c =constant which is an odd function in which we get same positive and negative solutions for each F
But If I solve his equation I get two different x values for The same F any suggestions??
Do you mean two different x values for the same value of what you're calling the constant?

Graph y = x/(x^2 + 1) to get an idea of what your function F looks like.
eahaidar
May15-14, 08:48 PM
P: 58
First thank you for the reply
Second yes these are all constants but what I am asking about is how come if I solve it analytically I would not get 2 values on x same but opposite to each other
But different values of x

Simon Bridge
May15-14, 09:04 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,463
Math problem

yes these are all constants
... surely you are treating x as a variable?
You seem to be wanting to solve: $$a=\frac{x}{bx^2+c}$$... here a=<constant>/A which is also a constant.

This becomes ##abx^2-x+ac = 0## which is a quadratic equation.

You are getting two possible values of x for given values of a,b, and c because there are two possible values that make the relation true. What is the problem?

Your concern seems to be that you are getting ##\pm## <the same number> as the roots ... if so, then please show your working.

Register to reply