Where Can I Find Detailed Plans for Building a Real Railgun?

• Thread starter arumz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation is about a high school senior conducting a research project on railguns and needing help finding construction plans. The other person in the conversation questions the purpose and feasibility of the project, suggests using a steel tube and ball bearings for a simple proof of concept, and cautions against using high amps for safety reasons. They also mention examining the correlation between voltage and recoil, but the other person explains that a different measurement such as power or impulse would be more useful. The senior expresses determination to build a railgun and mentions having access to necessary equipment and funding. One person suggests building a coil gun instead, as it is more suitable for a high school project.
arumz
As a Senior in high school I am conducting a research project. I have spent numerous hours searching the web and becoming familiar with railguns. Now I need to start constructing but I need a good, detailed set of plans to start with. I am not looking to build a massive one or even very powerful but a real railgun.

Where can I find or get construction plans for a railgun??

I really need some help. Anything is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well first of all before you start anything, what is the aim of the project?

As simply building a railgun from someones existing plans, is not in any way research, also I doubt that you can find a set of construction plans anywhere. These things arent mechano, they are a new piece of technology.

Also are you thinking of railguns or coilguns?

I seriously doubt you will be able to afford the parts or technology required to make a railgun work. The complexity required just to make a "simple" one would be quite daunting. You definitely won't be able to find detailed plans for one you can build in your garage.

In theory the mechanical part of these devices aren't very complex. I would think the electrical part would be the most complex and dangerous. If I were doing a project such as this, I would take a steel tube and cut it lengthwise such that I had my two "rails". My projectile would be a metal block with circular cuts milled to the sides. I would then use ball bearings between the projectile and the rails.

I would then use a car battery with plenty of resistors and the goal would be to simply show a proof of concept that yes, I can move the projectile down the rails using only electricity. Do not use the high amps needed for practical demonstration.

For the overall research I would like to examine the recoil as the voltage increases to chart the correlation. I would definitely like to construct a rail gun and will. It is just a matter of how. I have access to all the needed equipment as far as I can tell and funding should not be an issue.

Recoil is something that you can predict analytically, and should be pretty close. From your voltage you can calculate force on the projectile and consequent acceleration. From conservation laws, you should then be able to calculate the reaction force.

The only thing you'll show by plotting recoil is that frictional losses.

arumz said:
For the overall research I would like to examine the recoil as the voltage increases to chart the correlation.

Plotting the "voltage" versus recoil is a useless quantity for describing the performance of a railgun. First, the acceleration is achieved with quickly varying AC current(not a static DC current) which changes as it is applied to different magnetic coils when projectile accelerates down he barrel. Second, voltage alone is not enough to describe the force, acceleration, or power being imparted on the projectile; you would want to graph something like power or impulse which in itself could be used to calculate the projectile's acceleration (and thus the gun's recoil).

arumz said:
I would definitely like to construct a rail gun and will. It is just a matter of how. I have access to all the needed equipment as far as I can tell and funding should not be an issue.

Well then let me ask- what equipment do you think is required to build and operate a small railgun? You say you have access to all of the equipment you need and price is not a problem so that tells me you already know all of the components required to build one...

You won't be able to build a railgun, just build a coil gun. It's much cooler as a high school project.

1. What is a RailGun?

A RailGun is a type of weapon that uses electromagnetic energy to accelerate a projectile at extremely high speeds. It works by using two parallel conductive rails to create a magnetic field, which then propels the projectile along the rails at incredible velocities.

2. How does a RailGun work?

A RailGun works by using electromagnetic energy to create a powerful magnetic field between two parallel rails. This magnetic field then propels a conductive projectile along the rails, accelerating it to hypersonic speeds.

3. What is the purpose of the "Research Project-RailGun"?

The purpose of the "Research Project-RailGun" is to further investigate and develop the technology behind RailGuns. This may include studying the materials and components used in RailGun construction, as well as testing and improving the efficiency and power of RailGuns.

4. What are the potential applications of RailGuns?

RailGuns have potential applications in both military and civilian fields. In the military, they could be used as powerful weapons capable of launching projectiles at high speeds over long distances. In civilian use, RailGuns could be used for space launch systems, transportation, and even as a potential energy source.

5. What challenges are involved in researching and developing RailGuns?

Researching and developing RailGuns presents several challenges, including finding suitable materials that can withstand the high temperatures and forces involved, designing efficient power sources, and finding ways to reduce the significant electromagnetic interference that can be produced by RailGuns.