Can Arctan(11/2) Be Expressed in Terms of Pi?

• Thread starter rbzima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to express arctan(11/2) in terms of pi. It is mentioned that arctan(1/2) is not expressible as a rational multiple of pi and that the proof is not remembered. It is then suggested to find z where z^3 = 2+11i, and after some trig manipulations and converting to Cartesian form, it is concluded that arctan(1/2) = 3 arctan(11/2).
rbzima
Can anyone express arctan(11/2) in terms of pi. Is there an easy way to do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do not remember the proof, however I remember that arctan (1/2) is not expressible as a rational multiple of pi.

Now, looking at 11 squared plus 2 squared, we get 125, which is a nice cube. Hence let's find z where [tex]z^3 = 2 + 11i[/tex].

Expressing in Polar form, we get;
[tex]z^3 = \sqrt{125}\exp ( i \arctan (11/2)[/tex].

Since 125 is a nice cube, one value of z is [tex]\sqrt{5} \exp ( \frac{ i \arctan (11/2)}{3})[/tex]

Some very hefty trig manipulations and converting back to Cartesian form gives 2+11i, cubing that we can easily verify the calculation. Essentially this implies that arctan (1/2) = 3 arctan (11/2).

Yes, it is possible to express arctan(11/2) in terms of pi. The easiest way to do this is by using the inverse tangent function on a calculator. Simply enter 11/2 and then press the inverse tangent button (often labeled "tan^-1" or "arctan"). This will give you the value of arctan(11/2) in radians. To convert this to terms of pi, divide the result by pi. For example, if the calculator gives you a result of 0.5 radians, then arctan(11/2) can be expressed as 0.5/pi. This process can also be done by hand using trigonometric identities and properties, but it may be more time-consuming.

1. What is the formula for converting arctan into pi?

The formula for converting arctan into pi is pi/2 - arctan(x), where x is the value in radians.

2. Why do we need to convert arctan to pi?

Converting arctan to pi allows us to easily compare and manipulate angles in radians, which is the standard unit of measurement in mathematics and physics.

3. How do I convert arctan to pi on a calculator?

To convert arctan to pi on a calculator, first enter the value in radians. Then, press the "2nd" button, followed by the "tan" button. This will give you the value of the tangent of the angle. Finally, multiply the result by pi/2 to get the converted value.

4. Is there a specific range for converting arctan to pi?

Yes, the range for converting arctan to pi is between 0 and pi/2. This is because the arctan function is only defined for values between -1 and 1, and the values outside of this range will result in an error.

5. Can I convert arctan to pi for complex numbers?

Yes, arctan can be converted to pi for complex numbers. However, the formula and process will be different and may require advanced mathematical knowledge. It is recommended to consult a mathematician or use online tools for complex number conversions.