Equation involving the inverse tangent function

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation $\arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}- \arctan{x}$ for $x>0$. The speaker attempts to prove this equation by using the definitions of $\arctan$ and $\arccot$, as well as the angle sum of a triangle. However, they encounter a contradiction when plugging in the values for $\arccot{x}=\arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}}$ in the equation. Ultimately, it is determined that for $x>0$, $\arctan(x)$ and $\arctan\left(\frac1x\right)$ are complementary angles.
karseme
I need to prove that:

$ \arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}- \arctan{x}, \forall x>0$.

Now, I assumed $\arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}}=\arccot{x}$. So, I've tried to do this:

$\cot{y}=x \implies y=arccot{x} \\ \tan{y}=\dfrac{1}{\cot{y}}=\dfrac{1}{x} \implies y=\arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}} \\ \implies \arccot{x}=\arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}}$. I've tried to put in some numbers and it seems that it workes for every real number.

Also, $\tan{(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-y)}=\cot{y}=x \implies \dfrac{\pi}{2}-y=\arctan{x} \land y=\arccot{x} \\ \implies \arctan{x}+\arccot{x}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}$, which also works for every real number. But, why is it then when you plug in $\arccot{x}=\arctan{\dfrac{1}{x}}$ in the second equation, it doesn't work for every x. But, the first equation and the second equation work for every real number but their combination doesn't. I know that my approach wasn't that good anyway, but I didn't know what else to do to prove this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For $x>0$, $\arctan(x)$ and $\arctan\left(\frac1x\right)$ are complementary angles.

Hi karseme! ;)

Consider the following right triangle:
\begin{tikzpicture}[font=\large]
\draw[ultra thick, blue]
(0,0) node[above right,xshift=10] {$\alpha$} -- node[below] {$1$}
(4,0) -- node
{$x$}
(4,3) node[below left,yshift=-6] {$\beta$} -- cycle;
\draw[blue] (4,0) rectangle +(-0.3,0.3);
\end{tikzpicture}

From the definition of $\tan$ we have $\tan\alpha=\frac x 1$ and $\tan\beta=\frac 1 x$.
From the angle sum of a triangle we know that $\alpha + \beta=\frac\pi 2$.
Therefore $\arctan x + \arctan \frac 1x = \frac\pi 2$. :cool:

What is the inverse tangent function?

The inverse tangent function, denoted as tan-1(x) or arctan(x), is the inverse of the tangent function. It is used to find the angle whose tangent is a given number.

What is the general form of an equation involving the inverse tangent function?

The general form of an equation involving the inverse tangent function is tan-1(x) = y, where x is the input value and y is the angle whose tangent is x.

What is the domain of the inverse tangent function?

The domain of the inverse tangent function is all real numbers, or (-∞, ∞).

What is the range of the inverse tangent function?

The range of the inverse tangent function is (-π/2, π/2), or the interval from -π/2 to π/2, not including the endpoints.

How is the inverse tangent function used in real-life applications?

The inverse tangent function is commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation to calculate angles and solve problems involving right triangles. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to determine the rotation and orientation of objects. In finance, it can be used to calculate the return on investment in terms of percentage. Additionally, the inverse tangent function is used in calculus to solve integrals and differential equations.