Proving Subspace of a Matrix in R2

In summary: If you are given a set of matrices and asked to find a basis for them, you can do so by solving for A and B such thatA\begin{bmatrix}0 & -6 \\ -2 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ B\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c-d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}.
jj48
Hi.

if anybody can help me

Let S be the matrix a b
c d

with a constrain a = -2d, b= 3c -d

Prove that S is a subspace of R2?

Physics news on Phys.org
matrix

a b
c d

It looks like you have misread the problem.

A matrix cannot be a subspace. Even a set of matrices cannot be a subspace of R^2, because R^2 consists of points, not matrices.

jj48 said:
Hi.

if anybody can help me

Let S be the matrix a b
c d

with a constrain a = -2d, b= 3c -d

Prove that S is a subspace of R2?
As Tac-Tics said, you must have misread the problem. You can't "prove that S is a subspace of R2", it isn't true. A matrix is NOT a subspace of R2.

It is possible that you were asked to show that the set of all matrices of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c- d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is a subspace of the M(2,2), the vector space of all 2 by 2 matrices. You would do that by showing that the set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. That is, if
[tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c- d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]N= \begin{bmatrix}-2y & 3x- y \\ x & y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
are matrices in this set and "a" is a number
are
[tex]M+ N= \begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c- d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}-2y & 3x- y \\ x & y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]aM= a\begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c- d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
also in that set?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there is a condition on matrix and it is asked to consider the set of (c,d) pairs. Then RxR makes sense seemingly...

Yes, you are right HallsofIvy. how i profe that they r close under multiplication and addition. do i have to add and them factorise to go back to the original?

thank you HallsofIvy you were right. I read wrong the question. it is if it is a subspace of the M(2,2), the vector space of all 2 by 2 matricess.

How to i proof that they are close under adittion and multiplication and if i consider the set B = |B1 B2|
B1 = 0 -6
-2 0

B2 = 2 4
1 -1

find if B is bases of the first question?

I thought I had responded to this but I don't find it now.

You have the set of all 2 by 2 matrices of the form
another such is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2y & 3x- y \\ x & y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Their sum is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c- d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}+\begin{bmatrix}-2y & 3x- y \\ x & y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}-2d-2y & 3c- d+ 3x- y \\ c+ x & d+ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-2(d+y) & 3(c+x)- (c+y)\\ c+ x & d+y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Do you see how that final matrix also satisifies the definition of this set of matrices?

If a is any number then
[tex]a\begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c- d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-2ad & 3ac- ad \\ ac & ad\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Again, do you see how this matrix satisfies the condition to be in the set?

To show that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -6 \\ -2 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
form a basis for the subspace, you must show that they satify the conditions for a basis: that they are independent and that they span the subspace.
If
[tex]A\begin{bmatrix}0 & -6 \\ -2 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ B\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Setting the matrices on the two sides of that equation equal gives you four equations to solve for A and B. If the only solution is A= B= 0, the matrices are independent

Then, given any numbers, c, d so that
is in the set, you must show that there exist numbers A and B such that
[tex]A\begin{bmatrix}0 & -6 \\ -2 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ B\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-2d & 3c-d \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Again, you set the two matrices on either side of the equation equal so you get 4 equations for A and B. Here, you must only show that those equations have a solution no matter what c and d are.

thank you very much i got it

1. What is a subspace of a matrix in R2?

A subspace of a matrix in R2 is a subset of the two-dimensional real coordinate space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, is closed under vector addition, and is closed under scalar multiplication. These conditions ensure that the subspace is a linear space, meaning that it is closed under linear combinations of its vectors.

2. How do you prove that a set is a subspace of a matrix in R2?

To prove that a set is a subspace of a matrix in R2, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions mentioned above. You can do this by checking that the zero vector is in the set, and then showing that any two vectors in the set can be added together and multiplied by a scalar to produce another vector in the set.

3. Can a subspace of a matrix in R2 contain only one vector?

Yes, a subspace of a matrix in R2 can contain only one vector. This vector must be the zero vector, as it satisfies the conditions for a subspace (closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication). This type of subspace is called the trivial subspace.

4. What is the dimension of a subspace of a matrix in R2?

The dimension of a subspace of a matrix in R2 is the number of vectors that form a basis for the subspace. This can range from 0 (for the trivial subspace) to 2 (for the entire two-dimensional space). The dimension is a measure of the "size" of the subspace and can help determine its properties.

5. Can a subspace of a matrix in R2 be a line or a plane?

Yes, a subspace of a matrix in R2 can be a line or a plane. If the subspace contains more than one vector, it can span a line or a plane in the two-dimensional space. However, if the subspace only contains one vector, it will be a line through the origin (assuming the vector is not the zero vector).