Proof? Kronecker delta is the only isotropic second rank tensor

In summary, the Kronecker delta is an isotropic tensor, rotationally invariant, and has two invariants: T is either δ for all numbers of dimensions, or ε for two dimensions.
mSSM
It is pretty straight forward to prove that the Kronecker delta [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is an isotropic tensor, i.e. rotationally invariant.

But how can I show that it is indeed the only isotropic second order tensor? I.e., such that for any isotropic second order tensor [itex]T_{ij}[/itex] we can write
[tex]
T_{ij} = \lambda \delta_{ij}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what the answer is, or even what the question means. So this may or may not be useful.

What does "rotationally invariant" mean here? Is it something like ##T_{ij}=R_{ik}T_{kl}R_{lj}##? This can be written as a matrix equation: ##T=RTR^T##. If this is supposed to hold for all R, you can try many different choices of R. Each choice gives you a little more information about the components of T. Perhaps you can find a bunch of rotations that give you enough conditions on T to determine all its components.

Rotationally invariant in this context means that
[tex]
T_{ij} = T'_{ij} = R_{ip} R_{jq} T_{pq}
[/tex]

For example, for the Kronecker delta this is pretty straight forward to show:
[tex]
\delta_{ij} = R_{ip} R_{jq} \delta_{pq} = R_{ip}R_{jp} = \delta_{iq}\text{,}
[/tex]
where we have used that [itex]R_{ij}[/itex] are orthogonal matrices, i.e. [itex]\mathbf{R}\mathbf{R}^T = \mathbf{1}[/itex].

mSSM said:
Rotationally invariant in this context means that
[tex]
T_{ij} = T'_{ij} = R_{ip} R_{jq} T_{pq}
[/tex]
Ah, yes, that's what I was thinking, but I put two indices in the wrong order. What I wrote corresponds to the matrix equation ##T=RTR##. What you wrote corresponds to ##T=RTR^T##. My idea should still work, but I suspected that there would be a fancier way, and it looks like dextercioby has given you one.

mSSM said:
It is pretty straight forward to prove that the Kronecker delta [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is an isotropic tensor, i.e. rotationally invariant.

But how can I show that it is indeed the only isotropic second order tensor? I.e., such that for any isotropic second order tensor [itex]T_{ij}[/itex] we can write
[tex]
T_{ij} = \lambda \delta_{ij}
[/tex]
It is probably worth noting that the uniqueness only applies to (cartesian) tensors in Euclidean space.

Last edited:
If a tensor T is rotationally invariant, that means that for every rotation R, that T = RT.T.R. Note that RT = R-1.

Since pure rotations form a Lie group, we can use its Lie algebra: R = 1 + ε*L for small ε. Since LT = -L, that gives us commutator [L,T] = 0.

A rotation-algebra generator has form (Lab)ij = δaiδbj - δajδbi to within some multiplicative factor. Its commutator with T is

[Lab,T]ij = δaiTbj - δbiTaj - δbjTia + δajTib

If a,b,i,j are all different, then this expression is zero. But let's try ab = 12 and ij = 13 for definiteness. Then it equals T23. Thus, for number of dimensions >= 3, all off-diagonal T is zero.

Let's turn to ab = 12 and ij = 11. We get T21 + T12 = 0, or Tij ~ εij, the antisymmetric symbol.

Turning to ab = 12 and ij = 12, we get T22 - T11 = 0

We thus find two possible invariants: T ~ δ for all numbers of dimensions and also T ~ ε for two dimensions.

-

Alternately, we can contract the commutator on b and j, giving δaiTr(T) - Tai - (n-1)*Tia for n dimensions.

Adding (ai) and (ia) gives 2*δaiTr(T) - n*(Tai + Tia)

Thus, the symmetric part of T is proportional to δ.

Subtracting instead gives (n-2)*(Tia - Tai)

Thus, the antisymmetric part of T vanishes, except for 2 dimensions, where it is proportional to ε.

1. What is the Kronecker delta?

The Kronecker delta (δ) is a mathematical symbol used to represent the identity matrix in linear algebra. It is defined as 1 when the indices are the same and 0 when they are different.

2. What does it mean for the Kronecker delta to be isotropic?

A tensor is considered isotropic if it has the same value in all directions. In the case of the Kronecker delta, this means that its value remains constant regardless of the orientation of the coordinate system.

3. Why is the Kronecker delta the only isotropic second rank tensor?

The Kronecker delta is the only second rank tensor that remains constant in all coordinate systems because it is defined in terms of the identity matrix, which is invariant under rotations and transformations. Other second rank tensors may change values depending on the orientation of the coordinate system.

4. What is the significance of the Kronecker delta being the only isotropic second rank tensor?

This property of the Kronecker delta has important implications in physics and engineering, where isotropic tensors are used to describe physical quantities that are independent of direction. The Kronecker delta allows for simplification of calculations and equations involving these quantities.

5. How is the Kronecker delta used in practical applications?

The Kronecker delta is commonly used in various fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics to represent isotropic properties. It is also used in the development of finite element models and other numerical methods for solving physical problems.