Trouble understanding dual tensors

In summary: Putting ##i=j##, you get ##0## on the right-hand side.In summary, the relationship between a pseudovector p and an antisymmetric second rank tensor A in three dimensions is given by: $$ {A}_{ij} = {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} $$ This relationship can be demonstrated by using the identity: $$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}({\delta}_{il}{\delta}_{jm} - {\delta}_{im}{\delta}_{jl}){A}_{lm} $$ and simplifying to get: $$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}({A}_{ij}-{A}_{ji})
cwbullivant

Homework Statement

Using 26.40, show that a pseudovector p and antisymmetric second rank tensor (in three dimensions) A are related by: $$ {A}_{ij} = {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} $$

Homework Equations

26.40: $$ {p}_{i} = \frac{1}{2}{\epsilon}_{ijk}{A}_{jk} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't a homework question (though it may tread rather close to one). The book I'm working out of is Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Riley, Hobson, and Bence. I'm having trouble understanding their demonstration of the association of any arbitrary three dimensional second rank antisymmetric tensor with a pseudovector.

The step they use that I'm having trouble with is (the initial contraction and substitution of the kronecker delta identity wasn't a problem):

$$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}({\delta}_{il}{\delta}_{jm} - {\delta}_{im}{\delta}_{jl}){A}_{lm} $$

And then:

$$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}({A}_{ij}-{A}_{ji}) = {A}_{ij} $$

The very last equality I understand, since Aij are the components of an antisymmetric tensor. I don't get exactly what they did with the delta functions though. In attempting to recreate their work, I get to:

$$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}(1-{\delta}_{ij}{\delta}_{ji}){A}_{ij} $$

Which reduces to zero on both sides if i = j, and if i != j:

$$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}{A}_{ij} $$

The step they appear to be taking is:

$$ {\delta}_{ij}{\delta}_{ji}{A}_{ij} = {A}_{ji} $$

And I can't seem to work out that equality.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwbullivant said:
The step they use that I'm having trouble with is (the initial contraction and substitution of the kronecker delta identity wasn't a problem):

$$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}({\delta}_{il}{\delta}_{jm} - {\delta}_{im}{\delta}_{jl}){A}_{lm} $$
Assuming that the right-hand side expression is summed over l and m, the only ##\delta## terms that survive are those where ##i=l, j=m## (first product of ##\delta##'s) and ##i=m, j=l## (second product of ##\delta##'s).
So you get: $$ {\epsilon}_{ijk}{p}_{k} = \frac{1}{2}({\delta}_{ii}{\delta}_{jj}{A}_{ij} - {\delta}_{ii}{\delta}_{jj}{A}_{ji})= \frac{1}{2}({A}_{ij}-{A}_{ji})$$

Last edited:

1. What are dual tensors?

Dual tensors are mathematical objects that represent linear transformations between vector spaces. They are similar to regular tensors, but instead of acting on a single vector, they act on two vectors simultaneously.

2. Why is it difficult to understand dual tensors?

Dual tensors can be difficult to understand because they involve abstract mathematical concepts and can be challenging to visualize. Additionally, they require a solid understanding of linear algebra and tensor calculus.

3. How are dual tensors different from regular tensors?

Dual tensors and regular tensors are similar in that they both represent linear transformations. However, dual tensors act on two vectors, while regular tensors act on only one vector. Additionally, dual tensors have a different mathematical notation and properties compared to regular tensors.

4. What are some applications of dual tensors in science?

Dual tensors have various applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to represent physical quantities such as stress and strain in solid mechanics, and electromagnetic fields in electromagnetism. They are also used in fluid dynamics, general relativity, and quantum mechanics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of dual tensors?

To improve your understanding of dual tensors, it is important to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and tensor calculus. Additionally, practicing with different examples and visualizations can also help in understanding their properties and applications. Seeking guidance from a tutor or attending lectures on the topic can also be beneficial.