A compound containing Ti and Chlorine

• Thread starter Lindy12
  • Start date
In summary, in this conversation, a compound containing Ti and Chlorine is analyzed by converting all the Ti into 1.20g of TiO2 and all the chlorine into 6.45g of AgCl. The moles of each element were calculated and the empirical formula was determined to be TiCl3. The presence of silver and oxygen in the original compound did not affect the calculations, but they were used in the analysis process. Chemical calculators were also mentioned as useful tools for lab work and education.
Lindy12
This is the question am working on... A compound containing Ti and Chlorine is analyzed by converting all the Ti into 1.20g of TiO2 and all the chlorine into 6.45g of AgCl. What is the simplest formula...?

This is what I've done so far:
Moles of TiO2 = 1.20g/80g/mol = 0.015

Moles of AgCl 6.45g/143.4g/mol = 0.045

Am I on the right track? What do I do from here??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Lindy12!

The moles that you have calculated are the same as mine. However, I found the percentage mass of each element in each compound to find my answers. The point is (to my knowledge) it might not always work the way you have done it. You may need the percentage masses to be sure of what you have and what you are working with.

Knowing these moles you can find the empirical formula by dividing both by the smaller of the two to give you a ratio that will give you the formula.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Thanks The Bob :)
I'm really struggling with chemistry, as you can tell.

So, I went on to take 0.015 mol/0.015 mol = 1
and then 0.045 mol/0.015 mol = 3

So my final answer is TiCl3

What does the silver and oxygen have to do with the question?

Awesome! Thank you :)

FAQ: A compound containing Ti and Chlorine

1. What is the chemical formula for a compound containing Ti and Chlorine?

The chemical formula for a compound containing Ti and Chlorine is TiClx, where x represents the number of chlorine atoms present in the compound.

2. What is the name of a compound containing Ti and Chlorine?

The name of a compound containing Ti and Chlorine is titanium chloride.

3. What is the atomic weight of a compound containing Ti and Chlorine?

The atomic weight of a compound containing Ti and Chlorine is determined by the atomic weight of titanium (47.867 g/mol) and chlorine (35.45 g/mol). The total atomic weight will vary depending on the number of chlorine atoms present in the compound.

4. How does a compound containing Ti and Chlorine behave in different environments?

A compound containing Ti and Chlorine can behave differently in different environments. In a dry environment, it is stable and relatively unreactive. However, in the presence of moisture, it can release hydrogen chloride gas, which is corrosive. In addition, it can react with strong acids and bases, as well as other metals.

5. What are the common uses of a compound containing Ti and Chlorine?

A compound containing Ti and Chlorine has many industrial uses. It is commonly used in the production of titanium metal, as well as in the manufacture of plastics, rubber, and paper. It is also used as a catalyst in various chemical reactions and as a pigment in paints and coatings.

Back