Flywheel Angular Velocity Problem

In summary, a flywheel is a solid disk used to store energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy. To calculate the speed needed for a 13kg flywheel with a radius of 0.3m to store the same amount of energy as the gasoline burned in a 300 mile trip in a typical car, the equation KEr = (1/2)Iw^2 can be used, where I = mr^2. However, the correct formula for moment of inertia is (1/2)mr^2, resulting in a factor of √2 difference in the final answer. The correct answer is 6.1x10^5 rev/min.
cchase88

Homework Statement

A flywheel is a solid disk that rotates about an axis that is perpendicular to the disk at its center. Rotating flywheels provide a means of storing energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy and are being considered as a possible alternative to batteries in electric cars. The gasoline burned in a 300 mile trip in a typical mid-sized car produces about 1.2x10^9 J of energy. How fast would a 13kg flywheel with a radius of 0.3m have to rotate to store this much energy? Give your answer in rev/min

Homework Equations

Rotational Kinetic Energy (KEr) = (1/2)Iw^2
where I = mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So doing some basic algebra, and solving for w, I came up with:

w = sqrt(KEr/.5mr^2)

w = sqrt(1.2x10^9J / .5(13kg)(.3m^2)

w = 45291 rad/s

(45291 rad/s) / 2pi = 7208 rev/s * 60s = 432497 rev/min

The answer that the book is providing is: 6.1x10^5 rev/min

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or If this is even the correct approach I should be taking to solve this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF cchase88,
cchase88 said:
where I = mr^2
Are you sure that's the moment of inertia of a disk about an axis passing through it's centre?

Welcome to PF!

Hi cchase88! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Have you noticed you're out by a factor of √2? :rolleyes:

When in doubt, wkikpedia is often helpful: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel#Physics :smile:

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to PF cchase88,

Are you sure that's the moment of inertia of a disk about an axis passing through it's centre?

tiny-tim said:
Hi cchase88! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Have you noticed you're out by a factor of √2? :rolleyes:

When in doubt, wkikpedia is often helpful

Thank you both for your help. I forgot about that 1/2. I guess that's what I get for doing a problem at 4 in the morning :rolleyes:

:zzz: cchase 88 z's ! :zzz:​

1. What is the definition of flywheel angular velocity?

Flywheel angular velocity refers to the rotational speed of a flywheel, which is a mechanical device used to store rotational energy. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and represents the rate at which the flywheel is rotating around its axis.

2. How is flywheel angular velocity calculated?

Flywheel angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (in radians) by the time taken for that displacement. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity at the outer edge of the flywheel by the radius of the flywheel.

3. What factors affect flywheel angular velocity?

The main factors that affect flywheel angular velocity are the mass and distribution of mass of the flywheel, as well as the applied torque or force. The shape and size of the flywheel also play a role in its angular velocity.

4. How does flywheel angular velocity impact the performance of a machine?

Flywheel angular velocity is important for maintaining a steady and consistent rotational speed in machines such as engines and turbines. A higher angular velocity can also lead to a higher power output from the machine.

5. How can flywheel angular velocity be controlled or adjusted?

Flywheel angular velocity can be controlled by adjusting the applied torque or force, as well as by changing the mass or distribution of mass of the flywheel. The shape and size of the flywheel can also be altered to affect its angular velocity.