Water pressure, volume, temperature

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in finding a table or chart with accurate data for water pressures and temperatures at constant volume. They are conducting an experiment to test the pressure tolerance of an aerosol canister by filling it with water and applying a flame torch. The person is having difficulty finding the pressure of the water given the temperature and volume, but they later realize that the pressure at boiling point is 1 atm and will increase according to the standard saturated liquid water table.
Paul245
Hi There

Can some one please help me find a table or chart that has accurate data for water pressures and temperatures at constant volume. I'm testing how much pressure an aerosole canister can take by filling it with water, sealing it and applying a flame tourch. I know how much heat the trouch is putting out, so I'm timing how long it'll take for the can to blow out. From this and the heat capacity I can get the temperature of the water, but now I'm having serious difficulty finding the pressure of the water given the temperature and volume. Any help please?

Science news on Phys.org
It has just dawned upon me that, in fact, the pressure of the water at boiling point (100C) is 1 atm. Hence if it is a closed system, that pressure will increase according to the standard saturated liquid water table. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Hello,

I would recommend looking into the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas (or in this case, water) is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles of the gas, and inversely proportional to its volume. This law can be mathematically represented as P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume.

In your experiment, you can use this equation to calculate the pressure of the water by knowing the temperature and volume, and assuming a certain number of moles (which can be determined based on the amount of water in the aerosol canister). Additionally, you can also take into account the fact that water is not a perfect gas and may deviate from the ideal gas law at certain temperatures and pressures. In this case, you may need to use a more complex equation, such as the van der Waals equation, to calculate the pressure accurately.

I would also recommend consulting scientific databases or journals for tables or charts that provide accurate data for water pressures at different temperatures and volumes. These sources can provide you with more precise and reliable information for your experiment.

Best of luck with your experiment!

1. How does temperature affect water pressure?

As temperature increases, the molecules in water gain more energy and move faster, causing them to expand and take up more space. This increase in volume leads to an increase in pressure, as the water molecules push against their surroundings with more force.

2. What is the relationship between water volume and pressure?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between volume and pressure. This means that as volume decreases, pressure increases and vice versa. This is because as the volume of a given amount of water decreases, the molecules are forced closer together and collide more frequently, resulting in a higher pressure.

3. How is water pressure measured?

Water pressure is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). This is done using a pressure gauge, which measures the force exerted by the water on a given area. The average water pressure in a household is around 50-60 psi.

4. How does depth affect water pressure?

Water pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above. For every 33 feet (10 meters) of depth, the pressure increases by about 14.5 psi. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and is a critical factor in understanding ocean and deep-sea environments.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding water pressure, volume, and temperature?

Understanding water pressure, volume, and temperature is essential in many fields, including plumbing, engineering, and marine science. It can help determine the efficiency of pumps and other machinery, design and construct water distribution systems, and predict weather patterns and ocean currents. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior and survival of aquatic organisms, such as fish and coral reefs.