Am I Making Sense? - Color, Light & Photons Explained

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the relationship between light and color, specifically in regards to how photons are emitted and how different frequencies of light create different colors. The participants also discussed the role of heat and energy in this process and touched on other subatomic particles. They ultimately concluded that it is the energy of electrons that causes photons to be emitted and create the colors we see.
DB
Am I making sense?

I'm a bit confused and want to clear this up. I haven't read this anywhere I'm just trying to put it together through what I know.

Color (light), is radiation of photons at certain frequencies within the visible light wavelenghts. The emission of the photons is due to the aplied energy of the sun (or light) on that certain object/particle, and the different frequencies (colors) of the emited photons is due to the specific quantized energy of each particle object/particle (different quantum numbers n).
In other words, a somewhat constant energy of light or heat mixed with a specific quantized energy of an atom, releases photons at different frequencies, making gold the yellowish color it is.

I have really no clue if I'm right with this, and I thought I'd ask you guys.
Am I making sense? LOL

Physics news on Phys.org
That does make sense. Actually, and I'm being completely honest, I sent an e-mail to one of my professors the other night saying the exact same thing you did, just in different words. I'm researching photons and such right now and am curious to know if you have any other thoughts on the other known subatomic particles. :biggrin:

Thanks ZeAsYn51, you I do have a similar question. When light is emitted (using the sun's energy), is it the heat that does the job, or the light of the sun?

Ty

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "get the job done", Ty. If you're asking what causes the photon to shoot out from the sun, it's just an electron that changed energy levels and "excited" (I guess you could say) the photon to move. The photon travels through space and collides with objects which causes illumination that is taken in by our eyes. The waves in which photons travel have both constructive and destructive interfereance, if they interact with other waves, and create different wavelengths of light. But to answer your question, it is simply the energy of the electron that excites the photon into action.

Am moving this to General Physics ... the questions are about light and colour in general (and the physics thereof, not the biology!)

1. What is the connection between color, light, and photons?

The connection between color, light, and photons lies in the way light behaves as both a wave and a particle. Color is a visual sensation that is created when light reflects off of an object and enters our eyes. Photons are the individual particles of light that make up the electromagnetic spectrum, and they carry energy that determines the color of light we see.

2. How do different colors of light affect our perception?

Different colors of light have different wavelengths and energy levels, which affect how our eyes and brain perceive them. For example, shorter blue wavelengths appear more energetic and can make us feel more alert, while longer red wavelengths can have a calming effect. Additionally, our perception can be influenced by cultural and personal factors.

3. How does the human eye process color and light?

The human eye contains specialized cells called cones, which are responsible for detecting color and are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. When light enters our eye, it stimulates these cones and sends signals to our brain, which then interprets the signals as different colors. Our eyes also contain rods, which are responsible for detecting light and dark, but do not contribute to color vision.

4. What is the difference between visible light and other forms of light?

Visible light is a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all forms of light. The difference between visible light and other forms of light lies in their wavelengths and energy levels. Visible light has wavelengths that are detectable by the human eye, while other forms of light, such as infrared and ultraviolet, have wavelengths that are too short or long for us to see.

5. How does the concept of photons contribute to our understanding of color and light?

The concept of photons helps us understand the behavior of light and how it interacts with matter. Photons are responsible for carrying the energy that determines the color of light, and their behavior as both a wave and a particle explains how light can travel through space and be absorbed or reflected by objects. Understanding photons also helps us develop technologies such as lasers and solar panels.