What is Thomas Hobbes' explanation for the cause of sensations?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: However, it's a bit of a false cool.In summary, Thomas Hobbes explains that sensations are caused by the pressure of external objects on sensory organs. This pressure can be direct, as in the case of taste and touch, or mediated by motions in the air, as in the case of hearing, vision, and smell. He further explains that the mediation of these sensations occurs through nerves and other strings and membranes in the body, and that these sensations are essentially just different motions caused by the external object. Additionally, Hobbes acknowledges the difference between perceiving things at a distance and those that require direct contact.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thomas Hobbes on "Sense"

Hi, I could use a hand with this.

I am not clear on how Thomas Hobbes (in Leviathan, Part I - Of Man) is explaining the cause of certain senses.

My book explains it this way:

"According to Hobbes, sensations are caused by the pressure of external objects on the sensory organs. In the case of taste and touch this pressure is direct, whereas in the case of hearing, vision and smell, the sensation is transmitted via motions in the surrounding air."

My question is: if Hobbes is saying that motions in the air are transmitting the sensation, does he mean that the motions are pushing particles in the air around and then those particles in turn strike the sensory organs causing the sensation? Does anyone understand what is meant by "mediation" in the passage below?

here's it is:
The cause of sense is the external body, or object, which presseth the organ proper to each sense, either immediately, as in the taste and touch; or mediately, as in seeing, hearing, and smelling: which pressure, by the mediation of nerves and other strings and membranes of the body, continued inwards to the brain and heart, causeth there a resistance, or counter-pressure, or endeavour of the heart to deliver itself: which endeavour, because outward, seemeth to be some matter without. And this seeming, or fancy, is that which men call sense; and consisteth, as to the eye, in a light, or colour figured; to the ear, in a sound; to the nostril, in an odour; to the tongue and palate, in a savour; and to the rest of the body, in heat, cold, hardness, softness, and such other qualities as we discern by feeling. All which qualities called sensible are in the object that causeth them but so many several motions of the matter, by which it presseth our organs diversely. Neither in us that are pressed are they anything else but diverse motions (for motion produceth nothing but motion).

borrowed from: http://www.constitution.org/th/leviatha.htm

Thanks,
MIH :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mediation in this archaic context means the manner in which the nerves form the "middle man" between the exterior world and the perceptive centres of the mind.

His notion of 'motions in the air' should not be taken literally (the writing is rather verbose and poetic after all) but rather refers to his acknowledgment of the difference in nature between things we can perceive at a distance, and those we must be in direct contact with.

The mechanics of light and smell will not have been well known, if at all, in Hobbes' time, but in a very generalised way his manner of explaining them still holds true today.

Last edited:
oneredpanther said:
His notion of 'motions in the air' should not be taken literally (the writing is rather verbose and poetic after all) but rather refers to his acknowledgment of the difference in nature between things we can perceive at a distance, and those we must be in direct contact with.

Thanks for your help - this is much clearer now. I had the wrong interpretation entirely.

Math Is Hard said:
"According to Hobbes, sensations are caused by the pressure of external objects on the sensory organs. In the case of taste and touch this pressure is direct, whereas in the case of hearing, vision and smell, the sensation is transmitted via motions in the surrounding air."

My question is: if Hobbes is saying that motions in the air are transmitting the sensation, does he mean that the motions are pushing particles in the air around and then those particles in turn strike the sensory organs causing the sensation? Does anyone understand what is meant by "mediation" in the passage below

Hi MIH

The only thing Hobbes was exactly correct about is sound perception, which is a vibration that communicates itself as air pressure variations. The idea of pressure seems close since sense receptors need to be stimulated. Rather than pressure dependent, I think Hobbes would have done better to generalize sense experience as vibrationally dependent.

Last edited:
Thanks, Les. Hobbes is my least favorite of all the reading I've had to do.

Math Is Hard said:
Thanks, Les. Hobbes is my least favorite of all the reading I've had to do.
Yeah, I couldn't stand The Leviathan. His style makes me want to :yuck: .

hee hee hee - yes, Rachel, I got to agree. I am so OVER Hobbes. The only thing he's got going for him is that one of the "Calvin and Hobbes" characters was named for him, (I think). So he gets a "cool" point for that.

1. How did Thomas Hobbes define "sense causes"?

Thomas Hobbes defined "sense causes" as the external objects or stimuli that our senses perceive and that cause us to have sensations.

2. What was Hobbes' view on the reliability of senses?

Hobbes believed that our senses were generally reliable in providing us with information about the external world, but that they could also be deceiving and should be scrutinized carefully.

3. How did Hobbes explain the connection between sense causes and motion?

Hobbes believed that sense causes produce motion in our bodies through the process of sensation. When our senses perceive an external object, it causes a motion in our body that allows us to have a sensation.

4. Did Hobbes believe that all knowledge comes from sense causes?

No, Hobbes did not believe that all knowledge comes from sense causes. He acknowledged that we can also gain knowledge through reasoning and reflection.

5. How did Hobbes' views on sense causes differ from other philosophers of his time?

Hobbes' views on sense causes differed from other philosophers of his time in that he believed they were the primary source of knowledge and that our senses were generally reliable. Other philosophers, such as Rene Descartes, believed that our senses could deceive us and that reason was a more reliable source of knowledge.