The Difference Quotient and Integral Calculus

In summary: So, in your notation, $g(f(x))$ would return $f(x)$ and $f(g(x))$ would return $g(x)$. In summary, integration and differentiation are inverse processes, as stated by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
Vodkacannon
I'm just a high school senior who noticed that the derivative has a general formula that we all know is,
[itex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/itex]
but that there is no general formula (at least I haven't heard of it yet) for the integral of a function.
I know I cannot simply just take the inverse of the difference quotient.
Is it impossible to generalize a formula for the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vodkacannon said:
I'm just a high school senior who noticed that the derivative has a general formula that we all know is,
[itex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/itex]
but that there is no general formula (at least I haven't heard of it yet) for the integral of a function.
I know I cannot simply just take the inverse of the difference quotient.
Is it impossible to generalize a formula for the integral?

Sure there is a formula for the integral of a function.

For example, let [itex]f:[a,b]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], then we can write (if the integral exists)

[tex]\int_a^b fdx=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \left[\sum_{k=1}^n f\left(a+k\frac{b-a}{n}\right)\frac{b-a}{n}\right][/tex]

This is a possible formula for the integral. Of course, there are some issues, for example, I partitioned [a,b] in a certain way and I let f act on the partition in a certain way. It must be clarified that these choice don't matter (and for which functions they don't matter!). But all in all, this formula can be used for most functions.

Interesting. I had never seen that before. I can see why you're using a summation operator because integration is just, in geometric terms, summing up infinitsimaly small parts to make a whole.

Thanks. That was a fast reply.

So I don't start another thread, may I ask if you were to compose the functions of the integral and derivative of a function, f(g(x)) or g(f(x)), you should receive the origional function right?
If this is true then this is one way to proove that integration and derivation are inverses.

Last edited:
Vodkacannon said:
Interesting. I had never seen that before. I can see why you're using a summation operator because integration is just, in geometric terms, summing up infinitsimaly small parts to make a whole.

Thanks. That was a fast reply.

So I don't start another thread, may I ask if you were to compose the functions of the integral and derivative of a function, f(g(x)) or g(f(x)), you should receive the origional function right?
If this is true then this is one way to proove that integration and derivation are inverses.
This is in part what the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus says, that differentiation and integration are essentially inverse processes (not inverse functions - these processes operate on functions). One part of this theorem says
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(t)~dt = f(x)$$
There's some fine print about the continuity of f and such, but the punch line is as above.

What is the difference quotient?

The difference quotient is a mathematical expression used to calculate the rate of change of a function between two points. It is represented as (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h, where h represents the change in the input variable and f(x) represents the function.

How is the difference quotient used in calculus?

In calculus, the difference quotient is used to calculate the derivative of a function at a specific point. It is an important concept in differential calculus, which is used to analyze the rate of change of a function.

What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of areas, volumes, and other quantities that can be expressed as the limit of a sum. It is used to find the total change in a function over a specific interval.

What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus deals with the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integral calculus deals with the total change of a function over an interval. In other words, differential calculus focuses on finding the slope of a curve, while integral calculus focuses on finding the area under a curve.

What are the main applications of integral calculus?

Integral calculus has many practical applications, including calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes, determining the speed and acceleration of objects in motion, and solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics.