Discovering Perfect Squares in x!+1 Function | Roger's Experience and Insights

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary: I suggest you try looking there, it looks like it might be a bit more systematic.In summary, you can find a perfect square by looking for values of x that give you a y^2 that is greater than 5.
roger
hi

I am wondering whether there is any systematic way to determine for what values of x this function is a perfect square : f(x) = square root ( x!+1)

thanks for any advice.

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, well, thinking about it for a moment it's the same as saying:

[tex]x! + 1 = y^4 \quad \text{for some} \quad x \, , y \, \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

Clearly:

[tex]y \neq i \quad \text{for} \quad i = 1, \ldots, x[/tex]

Therefore we must have [tex]x! > x^4[/tex], this is satisfied for all [tex]x > 6[/tex]

We can reduce the problem yet further to:

[tex]x! = y^4 - 1[/tex]

Or:

[tex]x! = (y - 1)(y + 1)(y^2 + 1)[/tex]

Given that x > 6, then there must me at least a factor of 24, therefore y must be odd. So letting y = 2m + 1, giving us:

[tex]x! = 8m(1 + m)(1 + 2m + 2m^2)[/tex]

Also if x > 6 then 5 must be a factor of this. Take this polynomial modulo 5 and see what you get :tongue2: Just stuck that together, but it seems to be right :biggrin:EDIT: Well none of my LaTeX seems to have come out, don't know why, if a mod could help I'd be greatly appreciative

Last edited:
Well assuming my LaTeX never comes through properly, here is the post again:

Hmm, well, thinking about it for a moment it's the same as saying:

x! + 1 = y4

For some x,y natural numbers

Clearly:

y =\= i
For: i = 1, ..., x

Therefore we must have x! > x4, this is satisfied for all x > 6

We can reduce the problem yet further to:

x! = y4 - 1

Or:

x! = (y - 1)(y + 1)(y2 + 1)

Given that x > 6, then there must me at least a factor of 24, therefore y must be odd. So letting y = 2m + 1, giving us:

x! = 8m(1 + m)(1 + 2m + 2m2)

Also if x > 6 then 5 must be a factor of this. Take this polynomial modulo 5 and see what you get :tongue2: Just stuck that together, but it seems to be right :biggrin:

I have difficulty reading what's been written, but the first of all it's not
x!=(y^4)-1 its x!=(y^2)-1

Last edited:
roger said:
I have difficulty reading what's been written, but the first of all it's not
x!=(y^4)-1 its x!=(y^2)-1
Well you said:

f(x) = square root ( x!+1) is a perfect square, which is the same as:

square root ( x!+1) = y^2

or:

x! + 1 = y^4

Please try and be more clear next time. But the same principle still applies, try and prove that this never is the case (which I am guessing is so)

To be honest, I don't get what your doing.

It was my mistake, it should have been square not (^4)

I've re read what you wrote but , I cannot understand it. Please explain to me what your doing ?

Ok, I will write it out again to avoid confusion.

x!+1=y^2 obviously x=4 gives a perfect square, and so is x=5.

All I'm trying to find is an easy way to find which values of x give me a perfect number, without keeping substituting the values in, that's all.

In other words, you are asking:

[tex]\text{For what values of }n \in \mathbb{N}\;\text{is }\sqrt {n! + 1} \in \mathbb{N}\;?[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, I've just had a hack at my method and I don't seem to be coming up with anything, it seems mine was only appropriate for powers of 4

I did a quick little computation and got:

7! + 1 = 712

However I think you will be stumped to find anymore, look near the bottom of this page:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FactorialSums.html

1. What is a perfect square in the x!+1 function?

A perfect square is a number that can be written as the product of two equal integers. In the x!+1 function, a perfect square is any number that can be expressed as (x+1)^2, where x is an integer.

2. How do you determine if a number is a perfect square in the x!+1 function?

In order to determine if a number is a perfect square in the x!+1 function, you need to first find the value of x. Then, you can substitute this value into the formula (x+1)^2 and if the result is the given number, then it is a perfect square in the x!+1 function.

3. Can the x!+1 function produce non-perfect square numbers?

Yes, the x!+1 function can produce non-perfect square numbers. In fact, for most values of x, the result will be a non-perfect square number. Only specific values of x will result in a perfect square in the x!+1 function.

4. What is the significance of discovering perfect squares in the x!+1 function?

The discovery of perfect squares in the x!+1 function can have various mathematical and practical implications. It can help in solving certain equations or problems that involve perfect squares, and it can also provide insights into the properties and patterns of the x!+1 function.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the x!+1 function and its perfect squares?

The x!+1 function and its perfect squares have various real-life applications, particularly in fields such as computer science and cryptography. The function is used in some algorithms and cryptographic systems, and the discovery of perfect squares in it can aid in making these systems more secure and efficient.