Gravitational length contraction

In summary, the gravitational length contraction is only occurring in the radial direction, according to the Schwarzschild metric. However, if one uses isotropic coordinates or considers an accelerating spaceship using Rindler coordinates, the answer may differ. This suggests that the effect may be dependent on the choice of coordinates rather than a fundamental aspect of physics.
notknowing
A short question this time :
Is the gravitational length contraction an effect which acts parallel as well as perpendicular to the direction of the gravitational field ?
I suppose it is not occurring perpendicular to it, but I might be wrong and I didn't find a good reference on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
notknowing said:
A short question this time :
Is the gravitational length contraction an effect which acts parallel as well as perpendicular to the direction of the gravitational field ?
I suppose it is not occurring perpendicular to it, but I might be wrong and I didn't find a good reference on it.

Sorry, stupid question. According to the Schwarzschild metric, it is only in the radial direction.

You might also want to think about:

1) what if one uses isotropic coordinates rather than Schwarzschild coordinates?

http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~vincent/4500.6-001/Cosmology/IsotropicCoordinates.htm

2) You might also ask about what happens on an accelerating spaceship, i.e. using Rindler coordinates.

If the answer does depend on your choice of coordinates, it was really a question about coordinates (or more formally, coordinate charts) rather than a question about physics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Gravitational length contraction

What is gravitational length contraction?

Gravitational length contraction is a phenomenon where an object's length appears shorter when viewed from a distance due to the effects of gravity.

How does gravitational length contraction occur?

Gravitational length contraction occurs due to the warping of spacetime by massive objects. This warping causes objects to appear shorter when viewed from a distance.

What is the difference between gravitational length contraction and regular length contraction?

Gravitational length contraction is a result of the warping of spacetime, while regular length contraction is a consequence of an object's relative velocity. Gravitational length contraction is also a relatively weak effect compared to regular length contraction.

Can gravitational length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, gravitational length contraction is only noticeable when dealing with extremely large masses and distances, such as stars or black holes. It is not noticeable in everyday life.

How does gravitational length contraction affect the perception of time?

Gravitational length contraction is closely related to time dilation, which is the phenomenon where time passes slower in a strong gravitational field. This means that an observer viewing an object experiencing gravitational length contraction would also perceive time as passing slower for that object.