Calculating impedance and transfer function of arbitrary length ladder filter?

In summary: Internet is a great resource for information, but it's not always accurate or up-to-date. It can be helpful to have a reference book or a tutor to check things against. Thanks for the suggestion!
bitrex
Hi everyone - I'm trying to figure out this "tack hammer" method of determining the impedance and transfer function of an arbitrary length RCL ladder filter. This method is briefly explained in the second chapter of Wes Hayward's book "Introduction To Radio Frequency Design," however it is gone over very briefly and no worked examples are given, so I'm at a loss. I guess the basic idea is that for each "plane" in the ladder filter one determines the admittance, calculates the impedance by doing a polar to rectangular conversion, changing the signs, converting back to rectangular coordinates, and then proceeding up the line. Or something like that. With all the reactances in the diagram in terms of s-parameter variables I'm having trouble seeing how to go about doing all the polar to rectangular conversions. As I mentioned, a link to a reference with a worked example would be much appreciated if anyone knows of one. Sometimes attempting to learn anything from this particular book feels like pulling teeth, as it often feels as if it were written for hardcore mathematicians rather than students.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some questions.

Are you trying to get a transfer function in terms of symbolic components, such asl L1, C1, R1, L2, etc., or do you want a numerical transfer function?

Do you know some linear algebra, and do you have a fancy calculator that can do matrix arithmetic such a TI89, or HP50, or a program like Matlab?

Also, can you post a schematic of a typical ladder you want to solve?

Last edited:
Hi Electrician, thank you for your reply. What I'd like to be able to do is get a polynomial transfer function, such as [tex]\frac{1}{1+jwRC}[/tex] for a one pole RC low pass filter, and extend that to a series-shunt ladder filter of arbitrary length. I don't have a schematic available to post at the moment, but an example would just be RCRCRC series-shunt-series-shunt-series-shunt, or LCLCLC in the same manner. I'd like to be able to obtain a transfer function and then plot the frequency and phase response for various component values. I could of course find this out using SPICE, but I'd like to really understand the analytical method of doing it before relying on computer simulations. I imagine for filters containing more than 3 reactive elements I will have to use numerical methods to find the poles and zeros as there will be a polynomial with an order greater than 3 in the denominator of the transfer function?

I have a TI-82 graphing caculator, but I don't believe it's capable of doing matrix operations with complex numbers. I do however have some experience with linear algebra, and access to the Maple CAS which can do many of the things MATLAB can do. I also have a good linear algebra reference if I need to refresh my memory on anything. Thank you so much for your time!

Any reason why you just can't write down the ABCD matrices for each filter, multiply them and THEN calculate the S-parameters?

I presume you already know that finding the transfer function is just half the story? Determining which parameters gives the best response for your application is considerably more difficult; unless of course you use a "standard" filter (Butterworth etc) and simply look up the values in a table.

f95toli said:
Any reason why you just can't write down the ABCD matrices for each filter, multiply them and THEN calculate the S-parameters?

I would guess that he wouldn't be asking if he already knew about ABCD parameters.

To bitrex:

Go have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-port_network

and this:
http://bmf.ece.queensu.ca/mediawiki/index.php/Network_Parameters

You can create a chain matrix for a single series element (R or L), create another for a shunt C and then multiply the first times the second, resulting in a chain matrix for the combination.

Then if you want to cascade N such sections, just multiply N of the matrices for the two-element combination.

When you're done, the voltage transfer ratio, Vo/Vi, will be the reciprocal of the (1,1) element of the final matrix.

You can deal with a resistive load, for example, by post multiplying by another chain matrix created from a single shunt resistance before you extract the (1,1) element.

Be aware that if the elements are symbolic variables rather than numbers, the transfer function will get large and unwieldy very quickly. However, Maple can handle that sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really elegant method for calculating transfer functions that I hadn't seen before. Because of health problems, I've never been able to enroll in a proper academic program for EE or take any EE courses, so I've been largely consigned to learning the best I can through what I can get off the Internet or find in the local library. The problem with that, aside from the obvious motivational issues, is that one often finds oneself jumping ahead in the material too soon, then realizing one has missed some critical concept required and having to backtrack and figure out the missing information. I had actually started thinking about the transfer functions of ladder filters not in a RF frequency context exactly, as I was doing some reading about phase-shift oscillators at audio frequencies and I was having trouble calculating the transfer function for a 3 pole RC ladder filter to see how it satisfies the Barkhausen condition assuming that the stages weren't buffered.

This will give me a good excuse to backtrack and brush up a bit on my linear algebra! :eek:

Check your Private Messages.

1. What is impedance in a ladder filter?

Impedance in a ladder filter refers to the overall resistance or opposition to current flow in the filter. It is a combination of both resistance and reactance, and is measured in ohms. In a ladder filter, the impedance is affected by the values of the components used, such as resistors and capacitors.

2. How is impedance calculated in a ladder filter?

Impedance in a ladder filter can be calculated using the following formula: Z = R + 1/(jωC), where Z is impedance, R is resistance, ω is the angular frequency, and C is the capacitance. This formula takes into account the combined effects of both resistance and reactance on the overall impedance.

3. What is the transfer function of a ladder filter?

The transfer function of a ladder filter is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of the filter. It describes how the filter affects the input signal, and is typically expressed as a ratio of output voltage to input voltage. The transfer function can be used to analyze the frequency response of the filter and determine its performance.

4. How do you determine the transfer function of an arbitrary length ladder filter?

The transfer function of an arbitrary length ladder filter can be determined by using the concept of impedance matching. This involves designing the filter in such a way that the input impedance matches the output impedance at a specific frequency. The transfer function can then be calculated using the values of the components in the filter and the input and output impedances at the matching frequency.

5. What is the significance of calculating the impedance and transfer function of a ladder filter?

Calculating the impedance and transfer function of a ladder filter is important for understanding and analyzing the performance of the filter. It allows for the optimization of the filter's design and helps to ensure that it meets the desired specifications. Additionally, knowing the impedance and transfer function can aid in troubleshooting and making adjustments to the filter if necessary.