Can Rare Earth Magnets Lift a Moving 200,000 lb Object?

• Thread starter tj111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of lifting a 200,000 lb rectangular object in motion using rare Earth permanent magnets. The suggested method is to place a magnet under each corner and lift away. An alternative suggestion is to use bigger magnets and lift from the top. A neodymium magnet pull force calculator is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing the repulsive force of magnets and how it is equal to the attractive force calculated through the derivative of the total magnetic energy.
tj111
Hello. I'm new to the forum and I hope this is the correct place for this question. Would it be possible to lift a 200,000 lb rectangular object that is in motion using rare Earth permanent magnets at each corner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Place a magnet under each corner and lift away.

GRDixon said:
Yes. Place a magnet under each corner and lift away.

Rofl. Or get big enough magnets and lift from the top.

Thanks Bob. I will check that out.

Hi Bob, Thanks again for your response. I checked out the calculator. My next question, being that the calculator dealt with attractive force, is the repulsive force of a magnet equal to the attractive force of a magnet?

tj111 said:
Hi Bob, Thanks again for your response. I checked out the calculator. My next question, being that the calculator dealt with attractive force, is the repulsive force of a magnet equal to the attractive force of a magnet?
The repulsive force of two same-polarity magnet poles is due to the spacial-derivative of the total magnetic energy (magnetic energy density integrated over all space):

W = 1/2 ∫B·H dVvolume

The force along x is then

Fx = dW/dx

This is the same force that attracts a magnet to a steel plate, at least it is calculated in a similar way.

Bob S

1. What is repulsive force?

Repulsive force is a type of force that causes objects to move away from each other. It is the opposite of attractive force, which causes objects to move towards each other.

2. How is repulsive force measured?

Repulsive force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a force meter or spring balance.

3. What causes repulsive force?

Repulsive force is caused by the interaction of charged particles. Like charges, such as two positive or two negative particles, will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract each other.

4. Can repulsive force be seen?

Repulsive force cannot be seen with the naked eye, as it is a type of force that is not visible. However, its effects can be observed through the movement of objects.

5. How is repulsive force different from other types of forces?

Repulsive force is different from other types of forces in that it causes objects to move away from each other, rather than towards each other. It is also a non-contact force, meaning that it can act on objects without physical contact between them.