Weird Subway Observation & What is Fire?

• Thread starter Frosty_TAW
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a helium balloon in a moving train and the concept of fire. The balloon moves forward due to changes in air density caused by the train's acceleration, and fire is a release of energy during a chemical reaction. The conversation also delves into the relationship between gravity and acceleration and the nature of fire.
Frosty_TAW
I was riding the subway yesterday on the way back from a concert, and i saw a girl holding a helium balloon and when the train started moving the balloon moved foward with the train, i thought that because of the acceleration and the inertia the balloon would move back, but it actually went foward. When the train stopped also that balloon moved back not foward like everything else in my section of the train. What was going on there?
Also what is Fire...i mean what state of matter is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL I don't find that train thing as weird as you seem to. When the train started the air around it got disturbed in such a way so as to move the baloon forward. If you think in terms of aerodynamics it makesperfect sense.

Fire is a visual release of energy during an exothermic process. When bonds are broken between atoms (during the burning of a fuel or other organic substance) energy is released as light and heat.

I don't think you need to invoke aerodynamics - there's no lift involved here! It's simply a matter of buoyancy.

Frosty_TAW said:
Fire...i mean what state of matter is it?

Fire is radiation plasma, radiation being heat and light, and plasma, being the state of matter. :biggrin: Yes, I myself find trains's physics a most intersting thing.

Fire is the first of the 4 elements! It's represented by a somethingsomething-hedron, but I'd forgotten what that somethingsomething is.

Frosty_TAW said:
I was riding the subway yesterday on the way back from a concert, and i saw a girl holding a helium balloon and when the train started moving the balloon moved foward with the train, i thought that because of the acceleration and the inertia the balloon would move back, but it actually went foward. When the train stopped also that balloon moved back not foward like everything else in my section of the train. What was going on there?

Why does a helium balloon float in the first place?

The heavier air (atomic mass of nearly 60) displaces the lighter Helium (atomic mass of 4).

Same thing happens when the subway accelerates. All the gases, like everything else, are pushed to the back of the subway, but the heavier air displaces the Helium. The helium balloon is floating the same as it ever was - away from the accelerating force, whether it be gravity or the force from an accelerating train.

There is no measureable difference between gravitational field and acceleration. If your train accelerates, think about its interior as a place with artificial gravity. Air is heavier, balloon is lighter, that's all.

Helium balloon in an accelerating vehicle (moving faster, turning) is a beautiful example if you are talking about relativity and the nature of gravity.

Fire is matter in a gaseous form heated enough to release light energy. So, in general, fire is carbon or a carbon compond in gaseous form that is hot enough to release light energy(in particuar, infrared light).

I know this is an old post, and don't ask me how I found it, but i feel that no one as answered the question clearly.

I don't know what fire is, but the balloon in the train went forward because the density of the air changes when the train suddently moves forward. When the train accelerates, the density of the air is not the same at the back of the train than it is at the front of the train. So when the train moves forward, the air is, as suspected, condenced to the back of the train. So you have more air in the back of the train than at the front of it... Helium, being lighter than air, wants to get the hell out of the there, it cannot stand the pressure, so it moves forward. So it appears, counter-intuatively, to violate the laws of motion when in fact it does not. Density, in this case, is stronger than motion.

Sorry for the bad english, It's not my first language.

see ya!

Last edited:
FatherOdin said:
I know this is an old post, and don't ask me how I found it, but i feel that no one as answered the question clearly.

I don't know what fire is, but the balloon in the train went forward because the density of the air changes when the train suddently moves forward. When the train accelerates, the density of the air is not the same at the back of the train than it is at the front of the train. So when the train moves forward, the air is, as suspected, condenced to the back of the train. So you have more air in the back of the train than at the front of it... Helium, being lighter than air, wants to get the hell out of the there, it cannot stand the pressure, so it moves forward. So it appears, counter-intuatively, to violate the laws of motion when in fact it does not. Density, in this case, is stronger than motion.

Sorry for the bad english, It's not my first language.

see ya!
Sir, you are wrong. I had a course of aerodynamics, and I know that when Mach number is smaller than ~0.3 you can neglect compressibility of air, Ma=0.3 being in air standard conditions 360km/h I doubt air inside of train was traveling at that speed, there is no compression of air, air moves in opposite direction of train's acceleration due to its inertia, pushing lighter baloon forward just like in the situation when you go backwards you pull air behind you forwards, but in baloon's case its lighter than air. The surplus of air that would be behind is not compressed but its flowing out through cavities in doors etc. or flowing back forward, and lack of air in front of train is comming inside the same way, or is being sucked back from the end of train, train is not hermetic.

I am also sorry for any spelling mistakes, and for thread necromancy
Hello forums:) I obviously did not register to post this, stay tuned for an avalanche of my questions soon

1. What is the weirdest observation you have ever made on the subway?

One of the weirdest observations I have made on the subway was a man wearing a full suit and tie, but with a pair of bright red clown shoes.

2. Have you ever witnessed a fire on the subway?

Thankfully, I have not witnessed a fire on the subway. However, I have seen multiple instances of smoke from malfunctions or overheated machinery.

3. How common are weird observations on the subway?

Weird observations are fairly common on the subway, especially in a busy and diverse city like New York. People from all walks of life use the subway, so there is always something interesting to observe.

4. What are some other weird observations you have made on the subway?

I have seen people carrying all kinds of unusual items on the subway, from large plants to a full-size stuffed animal. I have also witnessed impromptu dance performances and heard people singing opera.

5. Is it safe to have open flames on the subway?

No, it is not safe to have open flames on the subway. Not only is it against the rules, but it also poses a serious fire hazard in the confined space of a subway car. It is important to follow all safety regulations on public transportation for the safety of all passengers.