Aerospace Engineering PhD To Energy Trading/Quant

Another factor to consider is the location - if you are not willing to travel out of the Washington DC area, then JHU may be a good option for you. In summary, having a Masters from JHU could be beneficial, but the main focus should be on showcasing the knowledge and skills gained through your PhD program and work experience.
Aerospace77
Hello to all. I would like some feedback from anyone on here that has something substantive to say. So, I am in the process of completing my Aerospace Engineering PhD (3.9 GPA) from the University of Maryland. For those in the know regarding renown programs in the Math and Sciences, the Aerospace program at UMD is one, it is a Top 10 in the nation (9th). . My research essentially focuses on partial differential equations, numerical methods, Fortran/C++/Matlab, and ofcourse Computational Fluid Dynamics.

I have also being working for a few years while doing my PhD, and have decided I want to get into energy trading, energy derivatives, or perhaps an energy quant (if there is such a title). As such, I am seriously contemplating getting an Applied Math Masters degree subsequent to my PhD. And the reason being the quant field is highly mathematical, and I want to greatly enhance my math skills. So here lies the question, what graduate school should I consider? I would like to also attend another Top 10 Applied Math program, but not really willing to travel out of the Washington DC area. So I thought of Johns Hopkins University, it is not a Top 10 Applied Math program, but it is a big name/prestigious university. Ofcourse you have the Stanford, MIT, etc, what do you guys think about having JHU on my cv? Would that help getting interviews? And I must say, I take pride in getting my Aerospace Engineering PhD from a Top 10 program, and can only hope future employers know it is a renown top notch program. I say this because some only think of Harvard and such schools as all that matters.
I would like twoish-quant's take on this matter, if you may sir.

Cheers,
Aerospace77

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, having a Masters degree from JHU definitely wouldn't hurt your chances of getting interviews and could even be beneficial, given that it is a prestigious university. However, the main thing that employers will be looking for is the knowledge and skills that you have acquired through your PhD program and any work experience that you may have. So if you are confident in the knowledge and skills that you have gained through your Aerospace Engineering PhD program, then I would say it is best to focus on showcasing those, rather than having a Masters from JHU. That said, having a Masters from JHU would certainly not hurt and could still be beneficial.

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering PhD and Energy Trading/Quant?

The main difference between Aerospace Engineering PhD and Energy Trading/Quant is the focus and application of the knowledge and skills gained. Aerospace Engineering PhD focuses on the design, development, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft, while Energy Trading/Quant involves the use of quantitative methods and financial analysis to trade energy commodities and manage risk in the energy industry.

2. What career opportunities are available with an Aerospace Engineering PhD?

With an Aerospace Engineering PhD, you can pursue a career in research and development, design and analysis, or project management in the aerospace industry. You can also work in government agencies, such as NASA or the Department of Defense, or in academia as a professor or researcher.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in Energy Trading/Quant?

To succeed in Energy Trading/Quant, you need a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and programming. Additionally, knowledge of energy markets, financial analysis, and risk management is essential. Strong communication and critical thinking skills are also important for success in this field.

4. How long does it take to complete an Aerospace Engineering PhD program?

The length of an Aerospace Engineering PhD program can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. Some programs may also require students to complete a master's degree before entering the PhD program.

5. Can I combine my knowledge of Aerospace Engineering and Energy Trading/Quant in my career?

Yes, there are opportunities to combine your knowledge of Aerospace Engineering and Energy Trading/Quant in your career. For example, you could work in the energy industry on projects related to the design and development of alternative energy sources or in the aerospace industry on projects related to space-based solar power. Additionally, you could use your quantitative skills to analyze and optimize energy usage in the aerospace industry.