What is mass according to the Standard Model?

In summary, according to the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is responsible for giving mass to particles through the Higgs field. The Higgs field has a non-zero value in vacuum, and the quantum excitation of this field is the Higgs boson. The Higgs field is a quantum field that is not discrete, and it is a spin-0 boson that maintains symmetries in nature.
Anymodal
Can someone explain me what is mass according to the Standard Model?
I read that the Higgs boson "gives" mass to particles but I don´t understand what that means. :confused:

Here's what I think I got so far :
There is a field called Higgs field in all spacetime. It has a value for empty space which happens to be different than 0. A perturbation in the field is a Higgs boson.
What is mass in all this?

Extra questions
I read that Higgs field is a quantum field: Does that mean that it is a discrete field and that the value of the field for any given position is a multiple of some minimun amount?
And it is a scalar field, a vector field or what?

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Anymodal said:
There is a field called Higgs field in all spacetime. It has a value for empty space which happens to be different than 0. A perturbation in the field is a Higgs boson.
It has a value different than 0 in vacuum. Here vacuum does not mean 'empty space' but 'state with lowest energy'; so to reduce the Higgs field value to zero would cost (!) energy. The quantum excitation of the Higgs field is the Higgs boson.

Anymodal said:
I read that Higgs field is a quantum field: Does that mean that it is a discrete field and that the value of the field for any given position is a multiple of some minimun amount?
No, there is no such 'discrete spectrum. Every fundamental particle is described by a 'quantum field' in Quantum Field Theory (QFT); it's a mathematical formalism. The fundamental objects are not classical fields but field operators and they do not have 'a value'; they are not numbers but more complicated mathematical objects

Anymodal said:
And it is a scalar field, a vector field or what?
It's a spin-0 boson. Otherwise a non-vanishing value in vacuum would destroy symmetries like rotational invariance. Only scalar fields can have non-zero vacuum values w/o breaking such symmetries (and we do not observe such a symmetry breaking in nature).

What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It is considered the most successful and well-tested theory of particle physics to date.

What is mass according to the Standard Model?

In the Standard Model, mass is a fundamental property of particles and is closely related to their interactions with the Higgs field. It is the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms (kg).

How is mass different from weight?

Mass is often confused with weight, but they are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of gravitational pull, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

What are the different types of mass according to the Standard Model?

In the Standard Model, there are two types of mass: inertial mass and gravitational mass. Inertial mass is the resistance an object has to changes in its motion, while gravitational mass is the measure of an object's gravitational attraction to other objects.

How does the Standard Model explain the origin of mass?

The Standard Model explains the origin of mass through the Higgs mechanism. According to this mechanism, particles acquire mass by interacting with the Higgs field, which permeates the universe. This interaction gives particles their mass and is responsible for the existence of the Higgs boson, which was discovered in 2012.